Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As promised, here you go.  This draft was agreed at the GLSG meeting last Tuesday 8 April.  Sorry about some of the formatting!:

DRAFT

Terms of Reference for the Green Lanes Strategy Group

Aim:

The Association’s aim is to work to make the Green Lanes area thrive economically, flourish socially, and be regenerated for current and future residents and businesses.  The Association aims to foster an area where people are proud to live and work without fear of crime. In this it will be guided by principles of the Green Lanes Charter or superseding local plan.

Defined Area:

The Green Lanes Area shall be defined as that area bounded to the south by Endymion Road and Arena Trading Estate, to the west by Wightman Road, to the north by Turnpike Lane and West Green Road, and to the east by Black Boy Lane and Warwick Gardens.

Membership:

Members:

The key constituted umbrella organisations within the above defined area, (ie. Woodlands Park Resident Association (WPRA), Ladder Community Safety Partnership (LCSP), Gardens Residents Association (GRA) and Harringay Green Lanes Traders Association (HGLTA) as at April 2014) each with up to 2 representatives plus 1 deputy appointed by meetings of those organisations; and the elected ward Councillors of Harringay and St. Ann’s.

In addition:

• One representative appointed by meetings of established/constituted local groups as agreed by the members. Groups may be invited to join or may apply to join the GLSG. 
  • Key local individuals co-opted or invited by the GLSG to contribute in their areas of interest or expertise.

Metropolitan Police and Council officers will also attend as appropriate.

Officers:

1.   Chair, Vice Chair/Treasurer, Secretary and such other officers as the GLSG shall decide, elected from and by the members. Officers will be appointed for no longer than two years.

1. The Chair and Vice Chair will:

1. Ensure the efficient conduct of meetings;
  2. Ensure all members are treated equitably and have a proper opportunity to express their views when debating decisions of the Group;
  3. Ensure the GLSG receives appropriate professional advice from LBH officers or external advisers or others when necessary;
  4. Represent the GLSG where necessary.

Chair’s Action:

1. The Chair may be approached to take decisions on urgent matters that require advancement before the next scheduled meeting. In such circumstances, the Chair is delegated to take such decisions, after involving as many other Members as possible. The Chair shall report any Chair’s Actions to the next meeting.
  2. It is intended that Chair’s Actions will be kept to the absolute minimum possible.
  3. In the absence or unavailability of the Chair, a Vice-Chair will act for him or her.

Sub-Groups

1. The GLSG may establish such working groups, panels, forums or advisory groups as it considers necessary. All bodies established shall have clear terms of reference.
  2. The GLSG may terminate any Sub-Group at any time.
  3. Sub-Groups may co-opt individuals who have particular expertise or experience to contribute.

Remit of Green Lanes Strategy Group:

The following list is to act as a guide to the remit of the GLSG.  It is not intended to be exhaustive.

1. Terms of Reference, Constitution and Membership.
  2. Initiatives and Funding bids.
  3. Income and Budget.
  4. Bridge and Gateways.
  5. Street Scene and Enforcement.
  6. HMOs.
  7. Crime and Policing (including Safer Neighbourhoods Teams).
  8. Parking and Highways.
  9. Planning and Licencing.
  10. Green Spaces.
  11. Green Lanes Festival.
  12. Christmas Events.
  13. Bug Hotel.
  14. Other projects as agreed by members.

Meetings:

1. The GLSG shall meet on a regular cycle, with a minimum of 4 meetings per year.
  2. Meetings will normally last no longer than two hours.
  3. Notices of meetings will be circulated to members at least 7 days in advance of the meeting.
  4. Special meetings may be called for urgent business by the Chair or Vice Chair, provided at least three clear days notice is given to members.
  5. Items for inclusion on the agenda shall be submitted to the Secretary at least seven days prior to the meeting. Inclusion of any item shall be at the discretion of the Chair.
  6. All meetings of the GLSG shall be minuted.  Minutes will be made publicly available following approval by the Chair.
  7. Minutes of meetings shall be circulated with the agenda for the next meeting.
  8. Meetings shall be chaired by the Chair or in his/her absence the Vice Chair.
  9. The Chair will move that the minutes of the previous meeting be agreed as a correct record.
  10. The GLSG may accept deputations of people with a local connection who wish to raise an issue in person with the GLSG. Those wishing to form a deputation shall contact the Chair to seek agreement. Deputations shall only be allowed at the discretion of the Chair.

Decisions:

1. Consensus

Unless these Terms of Reference provide otherwise, any matter will be decided by consensus between the members.

1. Chair's decision

If no consensus can be reached, the Chair may request a vote on the matter under consideration.  Unless otherwise provided for in these Terms of Reference, the matter shall then be decided by a simple majority of the members present and voting by show of hands.  The Chair shall have a casting vote.

I have attached a copy of the Neighbourhood Vision/Green Lanes Charter referred to above.

------------------------------------------------------------

These Terms of Reference are open for comment until 15 June 2014.

They have been discussed at the LCSP meeting tonight, and will be on the agenda for the next GRA (June, not the AGM) and WPRA (14 May) meetings.

Feedback please to whichever you choose below if you can't make a meeting:

WPRA: woodlandsparkra@gmail.com

LCSP: lcsp@blueyonder.co.uk

GRA: gardensresidents@yahoogroups.co.uk

HGLTA: rob@harringay4shops.com

Adam Coffman for Friends of Harringay Passage, Friends of Fairland Park and Friends of Ducketts Common.

Thanks.

Geoff

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg

Views: 3196

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks again Geof and Nilgun for talking to us about this on HoL. I'm going to apologise in advance for being a little blunt but it doesn't feel to me like you are being completely honest about wanting the group to be more open and inclusive.

The email that was originally leaked with the draft of this said Geof, Nilgun, and Ian are the main authors of the document, so you two know exactly why its phrased as it is and exactly the intended meaning of all the clauses.

Nilgun you've said here you want to talk about making the group more open and transparent and at the LCSP meeting the other day TBD reported here that you'd also given the impression that you wanted the group to be more open.

Geof you've said things like "I see no reason not to circulate agenda and meeting dates." yet the draft does not specify that to happen. You've also said "I don't have any hit list of groups I wouldn't want included." which was a bit of an odd response as no one suggested you did and by answering like that you side stepped answering the question about including other groups.

Putting aside the ambiguous definition of additional members and groups for now, this draft is completely clear that any additional groups would be 2nd class in that they only get one rep where as the original ones get 2 each plus a deputy, and the additional groups presence is conditional on the agreement of the original members so they can be thrown out at anytime (and we know thats what has happened in the past).

So could you help put our minds at rest about this aspect by responding to these concerns in a more direct and expansive manner than just "I don't have any hit list of groups I wouldn't want included."?

Why not as an act of good faith clear up some of this by publishing another draft that includes guarantees that things like the agenda and minutes will be given to all, and which includes some of the other groups that have  already mentioned such as the Friends groups as members equal to the other 4 groups in this draft?

Hi Ant,

(These are personal comments, I am not putting forward a group view)

I think that the bit about not publishing meeting dates and agendas is an omission in the draft. I support its inclusion.

One of the early drafts did include the names of those groups that have had representation on GLSG as examples of groups that might join.  They were removed to avoid suggesting that we might be favouring those groups over any other groups.

There is no provision in the draft for groups being removed from the GLSG.  As the GLSG expands, new members have the same rights as existing members in deciding who comes in, who is voted in as officers etc.

Geoff

Hi Ant, Geoff is absolutely right. With your help we have realised that some aspects have been omitted. Not intentional but we have time to amend things anyway. With all the comments received the TOR will be updated. Personally I think that We can create a GLSG page on HOL and publish the agenda and the minutes there along side with the groups taking part. In the beginning we've had a lot of confidential items but we don't necessarily have them any more. That's why we're no longer proposing part 1 and part 2. The GLSG is a partnership group. Although we tend to take decisions through reaching the consensus, we propose that the Group Members to have full voting rights. This Debate is helpful. If you could send specific suggestions as to how and what to amend it would be even better. Thanks for all your views.

Ok Nilgun here you go for a quick starter to test the water:

-----

Membership:

Members:

Constituted groups within the above defined area, each with up to 2 representatives plus 1 deputy appointed by meetings of those organisations; and the elected ward Councillors of Harringay and St. Ann’s. Groups may be invited to join or may apply to join the GLSG.

Groups included so far:

Friend of Ducketts Common (FoDC)

Friends of Fairland Park (FoFP)

Friends of Harringay Passage (FoHP)

Gardens Residents Association (GRA)

Harringay Green Lanes Traders Association (HGLTA)

Hewitt Rd Residents Association (HRRA)

Ladder Community Safety Partnership (LCSP),

North Harringay Primary School PSA (NHP PSA) 

Woodlands Park Resident Association (WPRA),

In addition:

• Key local individuals co-opted or invited by the GLSG to contribute in their areas of interest or expertise.

Metropolitan Police and Council officers will also attend as appropriate.

----

Can you explain the process for how these amendments will be applied? Some collaborative doc that will be worked and agreed on openly in a short time frame? All saved up for another closed and secret GSLG meeting where they'll end up being thrown out with little explanation?

Ok this sounds good but why would we include the Hewitt Rd RA but not Pemberton or Beresford Road or any other Ladder road ones? Why include North. Harringay but omitt South Harringay PSA? How about Chestnuts Park school PSA?

I trust we will collate all the comments after the election around mid June. I understand GRA will only be able to discuss the TOR in June. Those groups like Friends of Ducketts Common, Fairland and chestnuts Park will I presume automatically be the group members. They were there from the beginning. They will certainly be part of the discussions.
Nilgun, you continue to be a bit wriggly and evasive, this is your doc so don't ask me why some groups are excluded, you explain that to us.
You talk about presuming but given the history and that the two drafts we've seen have excluded all but your 4 self proclaimed umbrella groups all we can presume is that it's not going to include other groups as equals. If that's not the case then clearly state it and list some of the others.
Hi Ant, you're well aware that I'm merely asking questions to understand your thinking in suggesting one and leaving another out.
Hi Therese :))

Thanks - yes it was a glorious Sunday. My shoes are not really very high just my regular brown boots :))) Am looking at them now and I would say about 2 inches:) they are usually quite comfy but I will take your advice as they don't feel quite so comfy going up the steps at the tops of the roads. I do usually wear ballerina pumps though.
Hi Phil, one factual info is that the council was working hard to bring in resources to Tottenham at a time and they had different priorities. Once we won the bid the council immediately agreed to be the accountable body. It was a requirement. If they hadn't we wouldn't have had the funds.

I look forward to receiving your specific comments. Thanks.
Phil, pls do not underestimate the strength of our partnership working here in Harringay GL. We are well recognised by the CE and the officers of the council. Our local Cllrs will be the bonus. Unfortunately the money is tight therefore not much resources from the council will come our way, but we have the capacity to seek for alternative funds through the accountable organisations that are the members of the GLSG. also, I'm sure you'll agree that if we are united we will have a strong lobbying powers too. Partnership working is the way to proceed.

Geoff,

I'd missed the fact that you'd added the Harringay Charter (see here for its history).

It seems like the final version has gone astray. I'm attaching it herewith.

I think it ended up being a wee bit vanilla. Perhaps now's the time to dust it off, see if we can get more people people involved and make it a more vibrant living document expressing some real sense of vision. With the publication of the recent Council plans showing huge amounts of development in the area, the timing couldn't be better.

It's interesting to read the following on the first page:

Your area assembly, the Green Lanes Strategy Group and other local groups will have a central role to play in setting local priorities, holding people to account and actively making this happen. 

I guess where this discussion is focussing is how we can get that wider sense of participation foreseen by the Charter.

Attachments:
Hi Hugh, the Charter was produced with your help and contribution. You were one of the authors of the Charter. The problem was as soon as we came up with our charter the council brought in the area profile. Having said that, the council reflected all our priorities in the profile and consulted the document through the Area Forum. We need to work together to continue with the good work. We all live here and we want GL to be a better place for us all including our children. See you soon.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service