Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A letter just dropped through y door asking for feedback. Here is mine:

"I hope the council considers the permanent closure of Wightman Road. Gradually commuters and long-distance drivers are realising they need to either use alternative main roads, or switch to public transport or cycling. The study shows that residents overwhelmingly do not own a car (61%), and prefer public transport, walking or cycling for their commute (82%)."

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 7053

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The council are up against a very vociferous lobby in Crouch End (see the Crouch End FB group) who are asserting their right to have their own potential through roads closed off but use ours with impunity.

There is an "every man for himself" core to all of this. Your post reminded me that Croutch End is also part of Haringey no? It looks like a richer area so they would presumably have more influence. 

I am appreciative that you didn't take my reference to your views as a criticism but more that even if what you predict coming to pass, it won't address the real issue. I know this as I was a gigging muso once, and while I never even think about a car living in London, I did do a gig for the first time and just hauling basic acoustic show stuff on bus 341 made me think "never again, gotta have a car for this". 

You have also focused on the real point I think with the Lausanne Road reference. I assume that that is up the street as I don't know that particular ladder road. 

I only say fairer distro because I don't want to impose on my neighbours for my sake. But to another neighborhood who doesn't care about any of us, well fine. I looked at Crouch End but it was so boring dead on the hill I chose the ladder. Again, happy to endure bustle to be able to walk 100 yards to those restaurants rather than a half mile up on snooze hill.   Maybe I should join Living Wightman then as the effect will be to turn Crouch End into Crotch End, ha ha. 

When I first bought that house in 2001 it was two way and there was no roadhump.

I bought mine off of a friend who mentioned the 2-way system. So that was better?

The reason that a good number of people are so frustrated with the traffic is that they moved in to a relatively traffic free road only to have it changed about them. 

On occasion I produce investment offering docs and these are called "risk factors". My current employer paid very dearly having hired a desk with amazing results on a certain system only to have the Financial Conduct Authority publish its disapproval of the system shortly after that and the salary commitments were eye watering for a desk that suddenly had basically no value. It happens. 

At the end of the day I bought the perfect house. The elements of what makes it that way to me will never change. 

the added benefit never seems to be truly priced in.

There is definitely something to that. So many of the homes that I had the chance to look at (there is more on the market now than when I bought earlier in the year) had the most horrific modernisations and they all ask/~get the same price as mine which has a lot of time capsule aspects. Look, I ride my bicycle through Finsbury Park and the whole Arsenal area bit every day. It's much quieter but it doesn't have Green Lanes. I would be bored to tears there. My friends turn up from America (where I am from) and Italy (where I lived for many years) and think it's the coolest place on earth where I live when we go to Hala and the Salisbury. If i wanted dead quiet I could move back to the Mojave Desert. I am more about equitable distribution, not NIMBY but PIMBY (proportional in my backyard). Ha ha. 

But again--and why I resurrected this discussion--I find it curious that in a borough with big liberals running the show, libs who talk about global warming BS all of the time--that they actually do nothing about the purported warming CO2, noise, etc., when it comes down to it. That's all. 

You sure you're in Haringey? It's been Labour for the last 50 years.

There really isn't a lot of difference between Labour and Greens. All liberals but perhaps some actually believe in their policies (Bernie Sanders/Greens) and some just wear the badge because it gets them elected (Clinton/Labour).

The two-way system led to a lot of stand-offs and altercations as some people never wanted to give way and the roads were never wide enough for two-way traffic.

It a weird one that. I've heard it time and time again. Yet the Ladder roads are no narrower than most other residential roads in London. Yet people muddle through on all those roads; they get by. The Gardens roads are no wider, yet they do just fine.

Although I know others will disagree, I lived on the Ladder for almost ten years whilst they were two-way and never had a problem. The issue came with the closures to the east. This brought a huge increase in traffic that neither Wightman or the rung roads were able to accommodate. Such was the political will at the time to make the new closures work that solutions had to be found. On Wightman they introduced pavement parking. The solution for the rung roads was the current one-way working. 

It's not needed here to cope with residential traffic any more than it is in the many many streets of the same size throughout London. Look at the streets in London that are made one way systems. Almost universally, it's because the local authority had deiced to sacrifice them as rat runs and one way traffic is needed to make them work.

Move to a cul-de-sac. Job done.

Thanks for that suggestion, FPR. I'm sure that reading it is was an epiphanous moment for people adversely affected by the road changes introduced by the Council.

No they don't do fine. With cars parked on both sides, there is just not enough room to pass. Just this year I have been invollved in three altercations because the oncoming car refused to give way or reverse into a gap. I have been threatened and swore at, even though I had my children in the car. On each occasion I have had to give way when it would have been easier for the other person to give way. This has involved reversing back into the traffic on Green Lanes, and reversing halfway Dow the street until I could pull into a gap. Because our street is popular as a parking spot for shoppers and restaurant goers, it is also a hot spot for situations and I often see it happening at the weekend or on my way home from work. When my brother lived in Lausanne Road in the mid-90s, I would drive down from the Midlands to visit and never liked driving on the Ladder roads.

So, would you like to see the Gardens roads made one-way?

I'm sure there must be a way of keeping all Gardens Roads open, enabling residents and services access. But with one-way sections creating a maze effect to discourage usage as a cut through.

Yes they did that around Dongala Road.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service