Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A letter just dropped through y door asking for feedback. Here is mine:

"I hope the council considers the permanent closure of Wightman Road. Gradually commuters and long-distance drivers are realising they need to either use alternative main roads, or switch to public transport or cycling. The study shows that residents overwhelmingly do not own a car (61%), and prefer public transport, walking or cycling for their commute (82%)."

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 7058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Agree with you. To relieve traffic on Wightman and Green Lanes there will have to be a compromise but I don't think it will be easy to change people's habits.

There's no more than 4 or 5 car spaces on Green Lanes for each block....I think the beginning of each ladder road could accommodate an extra two pay and display bays on each side of the street without seriously impacting on the bays available for residents.  The only day I have ever experienced difficulties parking in my road is on a Sunday and it's never been more than 100 yards from my house.  By London standards, that's pretty bloody good.  When I lived in West Kensington I might spend 10 minutes searching the surrounding streets for a parking space. 

I agree, I think it's a pretty do-able number of spaces to re-home. As Pat says, it'd require some small changes of habit, which is always difficult for people, but it seems feasible. My sister lives off Green Lanes up past Wood Green and she often has to park a couple of streets away from her house. 

I agree adding additional pay and display in return for dropping some spaces on green lanes is feasible idea, one I'm for but bear in mind the numbers should be very carefully considered as I'm guessing you refere to the Wood Green/Palmers Green borders when referring to your sister V&M, the reason for this is that fact that Green Lanes has very limited parking at that end hence more parking in the side roads, which has had an impact on the number of running as well as the standard and nature or level if you like of businesses running to that end, another factor is also that there are a far greater proportion of converted flats and therefore a Highger number of households and cars.

Hey Esat, I can't reply to your comment, think we maxed out the thread :) Main reason for my sister's parking problem is that they don't have residents permits up there. Plus all the houses in her street were purpose built divided into flats so it's a bit more densely populated, as you mentioned. They have some really nice shop up there actually, the area has picked up a lot in the last few years.

Upper Street is not really a 'local' shopping area - it has mainly upmarket clothes and furniture shops and pricey restaurants rather than newsagents, food shops and the like. Also, you can park on Upper St at various times during the day - it's not a 'clearway'.

I am not in favour of a red route on GL as it would increase traffic speeds - many people (myself included) regularly cross the road between the pelican crossings, which are inconveniently placed and extremely slow to react.  Also (from the photo I saw on another thread) it's obvious that the suspension of parking in the mornings or late afternoons does not bring two lanes into use, so does not substantially seem to improve traffic flow, though it does at least leave room for bikes.

My Ladder street is always fully parked up, and I can't see there would be room for more visitor parking, however the little 'crossbars' in the Gardens never seem to have any cars parked on them, and could  be '1-hour free' spaces for visiting traffic.

I definitely think getting rid of one of the two traffic light junctions near the Salisbury would improve flow, as would a complete redesign of the Arena so that cars did not have to turn onto GL and off again - but that should have been done when it was first built.

Completely agree re: Arena, it's such a pickle.

Is there ay evidence from other places that red routes increase traffic speeds to dangerous levels? Obviously the point would be to increase them a bit, as at the moment (and even before the Wightman closure) there's a great deal of queueing. 

I'm sure that the pelican crossings could be re-calibrated to react faster. 

The thing with this situation is that everyone needs to give a little in order to achieve something. While freer traffic would mean you would need to use the assigned crossings, taking up a few more seconds of your day, the people who live on Green Lanes would benefit from better air quality, potentially extending their lives by years. Which doesn't seem like such a terrible trade off. 

Upper Street is closer to the congestion zone and coincidentally has less traffic than Green Lanes. It is also a pleasure to cycle down in both directions.

My vision for Green Lanes would be something like the 'shared' streets they have in some European cities - priority for pedestrians and cyclists over motorists, with traffic speeds limited to 15 mph. Far from the choked and busy road we have - which is now even worse than before.

That sounds really nice. It seems like whether it's a shared street or a red route, parking on GL would still need to transfer to side roads, or do you think there is some other way to accommodate the idea? Space definitely seems to be at the root of any solution.

I agree and think an outer London congestion charge plus improved public transport and cycle routes will help achieve it.

Am all in on the cycle routes - a couple of days of bike riding in Copenhagen was a revelation.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service