Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A letter just dropped through y door asking for feedback. Here is mine:

"I hope the council considers the permanent closure of Wightman Road. Gradually commuters and long-distance drivers are realising they need to either use alternative main roads, or switch to public transport or cycling. The study shows that residents overwhelmingly do not own a car (61%), and prefer public transport, walking or cycling for their commute (82%)."

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, traffic

Views: 7055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had to wait two years to get in to a local school I could walk to... it was exactly the reason why I bought a car again after having given it up.  And don't tell me it's acceptable to expect a four year old child to walk 1.5 miles to school

You always complain about the Gardens, nothing new there.
I agree. Red route short term. Electric trams long term as it used to be. Safer cycling routes including Wightman-Hornsey Park Road will help. 82% of us use these methods to commute. Why should cars always take priority? We need an outer London congestion charge too to stop commuter rat running.

But you're not agreeing at all Peter.  You say keep Wightman Road closed....I say reopen it as soon as possible.

Vroom! Vroom!

Sorry I agreed with Penny. This site's thread handling is confusing!

The point I'm trying to make is you have to have the improvements you describe in place first....keeping Wightman Road closed before such improvements in place just isn't acceptable.

Ideally, yes, but once Wightman reopens all momentum will be lost and there is no chance of change. It's now or never, while the Ladder residents (3000 plus 1000 children and two primary schools) enjoy a safe, healthy and peaceful environment for once.

10,000 people live on the Ladder. 2500 of them have been known to vote in elections...

Peter, you are absolutely right. While Wightman is open there is no incentive for the council/TfL to do anything about Green Lanes because Wightman soaks up the excess traffic.  If the through traffic continues to be drastically reduced whilst maintaining access then they will have to address the issues on Green Lanes that cause such problems. The situation could be massively improved by a red route, reducing the parking and bus lanes running for longer hours.  Radical and bold decisions have to be made, the result would be that both roads hugely benefit and so do all the residents.

You can't make all of the people happy all of the time.

Sorry, a red route would have killed Hampstead, and it would be the death of Green Lanes. Holloway Road no fun. Please never ever accept this.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service