Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Gavin Esler in conversation with Camden New Journal Editor Richard Osley

Back in 1979 whilst I was at Warwick University,  I went along to see a very much younger Jon Snow give a brilliant expose of what was happening behind the headlines in Nicaragua. That was a memorable experience that has stayed with me to this day.

I dared to hope that Esler might offer another memorable experience at The Big Green Bookshop tonight. I wasn't disappointed.

The evening's conversation and the Q&A that followed was around Mr Esler's latest book, "Lessons from the Top: How Successful Leaders Tell Stories to Get Ahead - And Stay There"

The book explores how leaders use stories to persuade and educate, and how sometimes they spectacularly fail to do so. It's based on decades of first-hand experience of interviewing world famous figures from Bill Clinton to Angelina Jolie.

Esler make his narrative against twenty-first century phenomena such the "confessional culture" and 24 hour news. He offered some insights on how leaders weave their stories, "We all tell stories, but I believe leaders who communicate well organise their stories into three parts: Who am I? Who are we? What is our common purpose? It's a rough guide to how just about everybody does it."

Apparently the book as written to offer lessons as much to you and me as to aspiring leaders of the future. It's a fascinating set of insights with some great lessons for us all.

I noticed one local aspiring leader in the audience and I'm genuinely interested to hear what he thought. Whilst I'll save him his blushes at this point, I'll drop him a note and ask him to share his reflections on the evening.

A fascinating evening - and an intriguing book, well worth getting your hands on - in stock at a Big Green Bookshop near you!

Some takeaway quotes from tonight for me were:

"It's really important for leaders (and everybody) to confront the things people are thinking about you".

On Gordon Brown: "Never one to miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity".

"Politicians submit to today's confessional culture because they feel it humanises them".

On journalists: "You're entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts".

Views: 244

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very enjoyable evening brought about, it appears, because one of the shop owners respnded to a twittered SOS from the Eslers when their baby's pram broke down - which all goes to show how useful Twitter and local independent bookshops can be!

. . . or how useless some Newsnight people are at pram technology? Paxman might have sneered and left the missus to mend it.

' ... one local aspiring leader in the audience and I'm genuinely interested to hear what he thought. Whilst I'll save him his blushes at this point, I'll drop him a note and ask him to share his reflections on the evening.'

Eddie, don't blush!

Thanks Matt. No blushes. Glad to have your vote for 2014 and 2015. Like Blair, I feel the hand of history on my shoulder 'though it's not the time for soundbites' of course. Unlike Brown, I 'll miss every opp to miss an opp. Unlike Miliband, I'll never think that getting my adenoids fixed will make me a new man. I may be looking for an agent soon.

Dear Mr Emporium,

Thank you for your letter of the 4th inst.

We regret that whilst we are unable to enter into correspondence with you on the matter, the editorial board and the HoL Trust Executive will give full consideration to your request for backing in your bid for power in 2014.

I know that the community will be intrigued to have the opportunity to vote for an independent candidate. We at HoL are eagerly awaiting the fleshing out of your policy portfolio and hearing what Mr Esler may refer to as 'your story'.

Yours sincerely,

The Editor

PS: May I remind you that whilst your frankness may be considered an asset by many of your no doubt soon to be constituents, our Trust Executive may not be so welcoming of the forthright feedback on their performance to date contained in your last letter. 

Gavin Esler just tweeted and was kind enough to say thanks for this 'umble review. He also linked to his website which has a video which may give you a better sense of what his book's about.

http://gavinesler.com/content/index.asp

Did you ever get around to fixing that pram, Gav ?

And as for Harringaryonline, is that based in Buda or Pest?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service