Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Apparently, there is a new free school called Eden opening in Haringey. Does anyone know anything about it? I couldn't find anything on the web.

Views: 3020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you've not been doing your homework mr hole..

I've been tempted, Stephen, I've been tempted :-)
Full time union officials are employees of, and paid by the union, who raise money by charging membership fees. Reps are volunteers who are given some back when necessary.
"Pupils will arrive at 8am and leave at 6pm"

Good grief.

This is a primary school.

Hi, Eden is a new primary school opening in September from temporary premises leased from Fortismere Secondary school. They are applying for planning permission to build a one-form entry school on a site immediately adjacent to Fortismere. They are a free school but have built close relationships with us as a local authority. Although they are a Jewish school they are commited to taking non-Jewish children and have done so for their first intake. Their website is http://www.edenprimary.org.uk/

Data from the first 24 free schools show that they are in areas with children from middle class regions, while the white working class are under-represented: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/aug/31/education-free-...

In Today's Independent:

What does the future hold for Michael Gove's free-schools policy?
Take-up of Gove's much heralded policy has been notable by its absence, with just 24 ready to open this term.......

Full story.........

That list of descriptors, with a couple of exceptions, makes me want to weep.

Mr Will Hoyle says the National Union of Teachers makes "lies, smears and misrepresentations" about free schools. I Googled "NUT" and "free school" and in a few seconds I found this webpage. Which has a link to a briefing document (click the spinning top image). It's dated 22 October 2010, so may be little outdated. However, it seems to set out the arguments against free schools in a measured and factual way.

Mr Hoyle and some other members of HoL may not agree with the National Union of Teachers' views but I couldn't find anything in the briefing which attacked free schools unfairly.  As well as reading it through with an open mind, I'd invite HoL members to point out any paragraphs which contain specific "lies, smears and misrepresentations".

To be clear, I'm not a member of the NUT. Nor have I ever taught in a school. (My very limited teaching experience was supervising social work students on placement; and briefly some part-time college teaching - also of social work students.)

However, I have been a school Governor in Haringey primary schools and I chaired the Governing Body of one of them. I have no tolerance whatever for poorly performing State schools, colleges, nurseries etc. But having been involved in the process of school improvement as a governor, I know from my own experience and observation that it's possible to transform any of these - provided the necessary resources, commitment and skills are brought to bear. It can be done and it has been done. In Haringey as elsewhere.

And I am not giving my own unsupported opinion. Nor simply going on SATS and exam results. As a governor I had the good fortune to get clear, evidenced, professional advice from the old H.M.I.s (Her Majesty's Inspectors of Schools); OFSTED - when it started I was a big fan; and some excellent school inspectors from Haringey. (Of course this was before the inspection system degenerated into "School Improvement Partners".)

(Labour councillor Tottenham Hale)

Mr Hoyle, what you wrote was this:

"Maybe the white working class has been scared off by the lies, smears and misrepresentations of the NUT perhaps? I don't know why." 

Perhaps like me, the white working class didn't realise this remark referred to a personal spat on HoL? Anyway, having got that off your chest, maybe you'll now engage with the substantive issues about free schools in the NUT's briefing.

An interesting item was reported today by the Press Association.

It includes a comment by Sir Bruce Liddington, Director General of E-ACT which has extablished one of the free schools and already sponsors academies. He saw it as marking the end of the old system.

"Traditionally, schools have been given to parents by local authorities, and this is the end of that system."

Which is a very revealing inversion of what traditionally has broadly happened: that advanced democratic national states have used tax revenues to provide an inclusive public education system open to all children.

The Evening Standard had this item yesterday.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service