Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

By all accounts Fitness First Harringay staff responded very poorly when a customer keeled over with a heart attack

Read more in The Guardian here.

Tags for Forum Posts: fitness first, gym

Views: 1387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any more views? I was thinking of joining. According to the Guardian website today, Fitness First is in talks with its banks.

I spoke to one of the staff today who,told me that Harringay FF will be staying open when FF lose half their branches. There are no plans to open anything again in Tottenham. So I guess we're stuck with our overcrowded, dirty, broken-equipment, female-unfriendly but highly convenient sweat box. Ha. What you gonna do?

Have been a member for years. Received a letter to say FF was being bought out and invited members to open meeting. Said Harringay branch was one of those that was going to come under new ownership (i.e. not part of the group) but it will take some months before it affects members. Could be a blessing or a curse really!

Thanks Kate, I am a FF member and have been using the Harringay club for years, but didn't get the letter as I signed up at Leyton - was there any more info about who would be buying it? (Or when the open meeting is - I'll try to make it if I can...) 

FF and Kick Fitness are 'restructuring' their club portfolio so can make best use of investment funds available. They are proposing doing that by entering a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) allowing them to reach a compromise agreement with some of their club landlords, which if successful will result in some of their clubs being sold to other gym operators. Harringay is one of them they are looking to transfer. They will keep members upto date as it evolves. 

Letter encl. from KPMG re CVA. Creditors meeting is to consider and if thought fit, approve the CVA proposals for the company - will be held 20 June at the Royal Horticultural Halls and Conference Centre London. It doesn't give a time so I'm not entirely sure they want members to go along..  Anyway, a copy of the CVA proposal available online or you can request copy for free by emailing the nominees at ffcva@kpmg.co.uk or ring 0161 246 4693. Proxy forms also available on website for voting if desired.Questions to cvaquestions@fitnessfirst.com or call ff.  Hope that helps!

Just checked with them and apparently Harringay is NOT on of those being affected so will still be under FF banner - sorry for any confusion! They had me down as a member of a club in SE London for some reason!

Yes, that's what I'd understood from the staff member I spoke to. I can't imagine their financial woes are going to result in a better customer experience, more's the pity. 

Sh*tness First is not a great loss for the area, it it? It's a grubby, horrible gym, hopefully a decent company will buy it, gut it and renovate. I'd imagine you'd need to do that to get rid if the smell. Have never been to such a stinky gym in my life. Good riddance.

I have been flip-flopping about joining. I don't really want to as I don't like the FF brand as a whole - been to three of them over the years and all of them have been expensive and quite unhelpful (when I asked, during a free trial, if I could have some help using a machine I'd never used before I was told no because I wasn't paying for the visit. When I pointed out to them that I could use it anyway and risked injury, they said that would be my responsibility).

It's so annoying though as I really want to join a gym and it's such a fantastic location for me. Is there anythign else around that area? I know there's an EasyGym up in Wood Green but I'd prefer something up the Manor House end if possible. Failing that, even somewhere with affordable zumba and/or yoga classes would do!

There's the free outside gym equipment in the little park just south of Turnpike Lane tube. I've just starting going to yoga again and am loving it. I go to a great session held at Chestnuts Primary School on a Wednesday at 8.15pm. Really lovely and friendly instructor and fine for all levels. It's £11 for a drop in session but a bit cheaper if you sign up for a block (but they don't have to be consecutive weeks so you don't loose out if you miss weeks). I think there is a good Zumba class on a Monday or Thursday evening in the community centre in Chestnuts Park, I don't know how much this costs but I know a couple of people who go and think it's good.

the little park just south of Turnpike Lane tube

Pity no one ever thought of naming that little park. Doesn't it have any Friends to stand up for it? 

They've talked about it, but whenever the issue comes up, the councillors just duck it. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service