Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Fish on the roof: ultra local food from Garden Ladder, Harringay

A mixed fish and plant aquaponics system. See video below for actual system being used.

The Garden Ladder is in the final stages of becoming the fourth restaurant in the UK to establish an aquaponics system to supply its kitchens with organic produce.

The system will be sited on the roof behind the Garden Ladder on Green Lanes, Harringay.

"We're committed to fresh, organic, locally sourced food and when we heard about this system we thought well you can't get fresher and more local that that!", Simon, joint owner of the Garden Ladder told me this morning

Due in operation this year, the aquaponics system will supply fresh tilapia and vegetables direct to the kitchens downstairs.

The aquaponics system works by combining fish farming techniques with hydroponics to recreate the essential ingredients of a  river ecosystem.

Fish fingerlings (tilapia in this case) are grown in the tank. The waste from the fish – ammonia and nitrates - provides food for the plants that are on the surface of the tank where they purify the water by soaking up the nitrates and ammonia.

As soon as everything's up and running, Simon's promised to let me at it with a camera, In the meantime, the picture above is illustrative and may well be different to Simon's system.

Adult Tilapia.

Tags for Forum Posts: aquaponics, garden ladder

Views: 2389

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More evidence that Harringayittes think outside the mainstream box. Sounds great!

I've always admired factory farming.

LOL! Yes, my thoughts exactly! It might be local but ...

And the better solution to sustainable fish is what?

eat grass..!!

Fish belong in the the sea, rivers and lakes, isn't that where they come from and if you are going to eat them surely that is the place to go? Alternatively reduce consumption or as Stephen says go veggie ; )

I admire doing something new but it's far from ethical, which is what it is trying to be, sorry!

And your veg is grown in polly tunnels  It's OK, Cameron is looking at the current population problem starting with capping benefits to 3 child families ..... Maybe one day men will be able to return to fishing as a livelihood off the Cornish coast!

I have seen them Jessica you'd be hard pushed to get a rubber ring in them. I have
heard the next stage is chickens in small old Haringey recycling bins

They will also be growing much of their greens in a new purpose built green house looking over the pallet pond.

Matt, the cornish fisherman seem to think they own the fish in the sea and that they are their fish. That's certainly not the case. They are free living creatures , just like us !

Most fisherman have done themselves out of jobs by overfishing  (getting greedy) . For hundreds of years fisherman only took what was necessary. These days they want to fill up  fifty tescos every time they go to sea.

The ethical position of farmed fish is about the same as the ethical position of farmed animals. So to knock this venture for that seems just bloody minded.

Meanwhile we continue to empty to oceans. Stocks have collapsed in nearly one-third of sea fisheries, and the rate of decline is accelerating. The journal Science said recently that there will be virtually nothing left to fish from the seas by the middle of the century and that fishery decline is closely tied to a broader loss of marine biodiversity.

So if most of are going to continue to eat fish, which is by far the most likely scenario, I know where I'll bet my ethical dollars.

"farmed fish is about the same as the ethical position of farmed animals", I rest my case

The reason why we are in this position is due to greedy folk eating far too much meat and fish in the first place but as long as this factory method quenches your environmental guilt (rather than welfare guilt) that's okay.

I understand I will be in the minority here but this isn't in the slightest bit ethical. Buy your fish that has come from a natural source, I think the Newlyn Fish Train is up in London by Midday!

For those of you interested to find out a little more about aquaponics try watching this

No food miles, totally organic and sustainable.

Just starting now in the UK, behind a lot of other countries. I think its great.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service