Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This Tuesday some names in journalism led a debate at the City University on whether the forthcoming general election is about to be the UK's first where new media will play a significant role.

Taking that down to a local level, I'm interested in the extent to which new media will affect the coming London local elections.

We'll be doing our bit here on Harringay Online, trying to make sure we get as much contribution as possible online from our local candidates. Whether residents have an appetite for it remains to be seen.

But what about the candidates? Which of them from the three wards that are wholly or partly in Harringay, are using new media? To answer that, we've developed a New Media Quotient (NMQ) measurement for both parties and politicians.

The NMQ measures the scope and depth of each candidate's use of new media. (To avoid any potential for political bias, we're not measuring quality of contribution).

Here's how things stand as of today:

TOP OVERALL NMQ

Top 5 Candidates
Justin Hinchcliffe (Con, Seven Sisters) - 50
Nora Mulready (Lab, Harringay) - 40
David Schmitz (Lib Dem, Harringay) - 23
Tim Caines (Con, Harringay) - 19
Karen Alexander (Lib Dem, Harringay) - 17

Top Party in a Ward
Harringay Ward Labour + Liberal Democrats - 17

Top Party across the 3 Wards
Labour - 10

TOP NMQ ON HOL

Top 5 Candidates
Justin Hinchcliffe (Con, Seven Sisters) - 100
Nora Mulready (Lab, Harringay) - 69
David Schmitz (Lib Dem, Harringay) - 69
Karen Alexander (Lib Dem, Harringay) - 62
Chris Ford (Lib Dem, Harringay) - 46

Top Party in a Ward
Harringay Ward Liberal Democrats - 59

Top Party across the 3 Wards
Labour - 28

So we have a good start in Harringay ward and an overall winner in Justin Hinchcliffe. but  the first term's report is definitely could do better.

What will mastering new media mean to the election outcome, I wonder. Can the smart candidate replicate something of the Obama effect?

If you'd like to see the details of the NMQ, see the attachments as either pdf (hyperlinks non-functional) or Excel.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2010 local election, 2010 local elections

Views: 318

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ask this crowd.

There should be pride and, dare I say it, honour in being a democratic representative. It's surprisingly common for people to want to be councillors because they want to do good for their community. The relatively small number who are in it for other reasons and the lazy, give the good ones a bad name
No surprises, I'm not the only one measuring use of new media in the forthcoming elections. Here's a national picture by Andrew Grill:

So, 1417 Tory truPulses compared with Labour's 1175. Which is better?
Do my truPulses increase rapidly if I'm tweeting while walking up the down escalator?
How long should I soak and cook them and what spices are needed for truDhal?

(Labour councillor & prospective candidate Tottenham Hale)
Fair gripe. But, 't'ain't about Twitter. Your "TruPulses" would be way out ahead with your HoL & Flickr participation. I couldn't be bothered to dig around for the scale labels, it made it's point for me.

Ask Gill here on Flickr.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service