Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I attended the Scrutiny Committee meeting on the future of music events in Finsbury Park last night. One of the most important outcomes for local residents is the recommendation for the establishment of a Finsbury Park Strategy Group. Harringay's Cllr Gina Adamou suggested this as the way forward to ensure that residents have a voice on the future of events in our park.

Chair of Scrutiny Cllr Gideon Bull demanded that officers get the ball rolling on this by the end of the month.

I will post further updates when more information is available.

Emine Ibrahim

Labour Party Candidate (Harringay Ward)

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events, finsbury park stakeholder group

Views: 5462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a place where I walk my dog and watch the ducks

Cathy, do you consider yourself a Finsbury Park stakeholder?

Do you warm to this description?

You sound like a regular park user, like me, like most residents. I confess I feel a bit cynical about the term stakeholder. It sounds like corporate-speak used by those who wish to corporatize you. Since some sizeable corporations now have a stake in our park, they too might be thought of as stakeholders ... just like us.

And so the language of the municipal corporation, now has a resident watching ducks on the same level as a company controlling an event for 50,000 people. Except that, thanks to its big events policy, the council has already given a leg-up to the corporate stakeholder.

All stakeholders are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Disclosure:
am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

Its great to see the Labour and Lib dem  prospective counsellors fighting it out on HOL - really edifying - reminds me why I'm not happy to vote for either right now!

I do try to tell them this. I'd point out that our current local councillors DO NOT fight on HoL. Nobody likes to see it. Red gang vs. Yellow gang as the kids say.

I would suspect that the current Cllrs for Harringay ward do not post on this discussion or "fight" as you put it because they received the information and would not dream of coming on here and claiming otherwise. They were both invited to the first meeting and I would be extremely surprised if they supported Clive's claims.

Emine

Do you want people to vote for you or not? If you do then my advice is to avoid "fighting" on here.

John

This is not a fight it is a debate and there are many residents who think the issue at hand is important enough for a debate that challenges both sides to be open and honest about facts. I commit here to always challenge and raise questions on the future of Finsbury Park and politely decline any advice which implies that I should remain silent on the issue. With the utmost of respect I am sure me and Clive can ask each other questions without the need for a referee. If the site admin sees fit I am sure they will issue a yellow or red card :) When I was at school and someone shouted out fight fight fight - it generally meant that those shouting wanted to bait to see a fight that actually wasn't happening. However if getting the best outcome for the park and ensuring residents get honesty from all involved requires a fight than I am up for the challenge.
I am standing to be a Cllr to challenge and fight for a better deal for Harringay and an open and honest politics - so if I challenge those I see on here attempting to present a disingenuous picture of the facts I will challenge - to return to my football analysis I will blow the whistle when I spot foul play.

Emine Ibrahim

Hi Michelle

I put up the original post after the original scrutiny call in to inform the community what was happening. The lib dem prospective candidate for Highgate ward decided to give the impression to this group that I was not telling the truth even though he was present at the meeting. It took sometime for me to get a response to Hugh's question but when I did I was surprised to see the email with information included all the lib dem Cllrs for the two wards and Friends of Finsbury Park. So that I do not make false accusations of Clive I am simply asking him if he is a member of this group. I do obviously have no control over whether his fellow party members and ward Cllrs pass information to him or whether indeed he did receive the information himself. I really do think it is an insult to residents and park users for Clive to attempt to gain political points on an important issue like this through disingenuous claims. The thought of our open spaces being exploited for profit is awful as is the exploitation of the issue for political gain.

Emine Ibrahim

Its great to see the Labour and Lib dem  prospective counsellors fighting it out on HOL

Is this fair Michele?

As the HOL owner would confirm, given my candidature, I am obliged to put my affiliation on posts that relates to the council.

In the case of our parks, it isn't relevant since in respect of their park policy, I would criticise the council anyway. I write overwhelmingly as a local resident. These are my personal views, relating to near where I live.

I use Finsbury Park several times a week and have done for many years. It matters to me personally what the council intends to do to Finsbury Park. I attended the January Scrutiny meeting before I was selected as a prospective candidate.

In respect of that meeting – when the council refused to change their big events policy – I was proud of my two local Councillors (Richard Wilson and Katherine Reece – Liberal Democrats) who were at the table and spoke with reason and intelligence.

I was also proud of a local resident who spoke well: Sally Billot, a former Stroud Green Labour Councillor.

Several other members of the public spoke at that three hour meeting. Although their views had a good and thorough airing, the majority-group-controlled Scrutiny Committee made a show of listening – yet ignored three hours of evidence: please see Cathy's comments above.

As compensation, the council offered the public a redundant Strategy Group. That never appeared and now apparently its a "stakeholder" group that is little more than a name. It appears as a worthless sop.

Please ignore who writes and consider what is written.

Do you have a general interest in parks or are you a regular user of our local Park?

User of Finsbury Park
for nearly three decades

Clive it also matters to me personally what happens to Finsbury Park. I lived there as a child and used the park almost everyday as we did not have a garden.

ARCTIC ICE CAP TO BE SHIFTED SOUTH.

SAHARA TO GROW OATS FOR EXPORT TO SCOTLAND.

GOD TO BE PENSIONED OFF ON LOW VALUE ANNUITIES.

WORLD GOVERNMENT STRATEGY GROUP TO BE SET UP.

As a Finsbury Park consumer for the past 37 years, I attended four enthralling meetings in the past week. My friend and counsellor (sic) who, like me, is also a candidate for the World Government gig in May spoke up in her quiet and concise fashion at all the meetings. We thought we should share her inscrutable thoughts with a wider audience; we hope that you will discuss these four points thoroughly over the coming seven weeks without any point scoring. It would be disingenuous of us to think these discussions will solve Finsbury Park's noise pollution problems - but we thought you might like to know that we attend all sorts of scrutiny meetings on your behalf, so please keep that in mind as you enter the polling booth 50 days hence.

IT may have been New Labour's Tony Blair who coined the term "stakeholder" – in a societal context i.e. Stakeholder Society.

However, about the only stake I'd like to hold is a wooden one, in the left hand, held above the heart of the Labour-led Council's Finsbury Park big events policy – and in the right hand, a mallet.

Stake holder

There's a member on here called Vlad who might be able to help with that

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service