Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

After being told conflicting things by the guards at Finsbury Park over the past few weeks, here is the official word from TFL on how to not get stuck with an incomplete journey fare if transferring from FCC to London Underground at Finsbury Park now that the new barriers are operational.  Touch out at the National Rail gates, and remember to touch in again before hopping on the underground:

Dear Malcolm

I am writing to let you know about changes for Oyster pay as you go customers at Finsbury Park station. 

If you use National Rail platforms where new ticket gates have been installed, always touch in or out on the yellow Oyster reader on the gates. 

For connections to and from London Underground, touch one of the yellow Oyster validators in the subways as well. 

When using Oyster pay as you go, it is important to touch in and touch out to ensure you pay the correct fare. 

Yours Sincerely,
Julie Haley
Julie Haley 
Oyster Customer Services 

Views: 4765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Probably by the time they sort it all out you'll all be mature enough to qualify for your hassle-free "Freedom Pass" - if they haven't abolished it by then.

you should all get bicycles and bankrupt TFL FCC, whoever, greed, laziness and incompetency or Total F**king Losers

I also dont think PAYG really works if you do more than one journey in a day, 1 day tc is about 6 quid, ive spent alot more than that in a day when i used to use oyster from Harringey (worst station ever, half the time the machine doesnt work!) so i spent 2 months worth of 1-3 travelcard money and got myself a bicycle, its already paid for itself, its never late, its never overcrowded, theres no annoying moron with headphones too loud, those no litter on your seat, it doesnt go on strike and i can take it pretty much anywhere, including the train (begrudgingly)

I've now had an opportunity to check my Oystercard online, which I haven't done for some time. It appears that every time you touch in, you're debited with £4.40 straight away. Depending on where you touch out - and whether or not you touch out at all – you'll be credited with a smaller amount (or nothing).

The Oystercard fare from Finsbury Park to Heathrow is £2.70 (NB wholly within the Underground).

On the journey referred to above (i.e. Heathrow to Harringay, with no double-touching), the amount credited on exit was ... zero. Now even if £4.40 is the wrong fare, it is still convenient and reasonable compared with any alternative, but it would be nice to know if its right ... or not.

(PS I'm sure that not all cyclists are abusive and aggressive)

Those are both correct (off peak, anyway)  - see http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/faresandtickets/farefinder/curren...

Harringay [National Rail] to Heathrow Terminals 123 [London Underground]

Oyster £6.50

Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.

£4.40

At all other times including public holidays.

Finsbury Park to Heathrow Terminals 123 [London Underground]

yster £4.50

Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.

£2.70

At all other times including public holidays.

Thanks Malcolm. They're entirely reasonable fares compared with the alternatives. I wouldn't fancy cycling from here to Heathrow, even without luggage! We are fortunate to have the Piccadilly line handy.

One thing is apparent from these prices, is the relatively poor value of the First Capital Connect portion of the journey (i.e., between Harringay and Finsbury Park). The FCC trains and the Underground trains travel at about the same speed.

For a journey lasting approximately 60 seconds, FCC levy £1.70 (off-peak), lets call it 170p/minute of travel.

Between Finsbury Park and Heathrow, a journey of about 40 minutes, London Underground charge £2.70 (off-peak), equivalent to less than 7p/minute.

To cover about the same unit of distance, FCC charge about 25 times more than London Underground. Of course, FCC's prices come on top of a taxpayer subsidy to this private company, which are relatively modest, at 1.6p per passenger mile.

Freedom Pass is lovely but I still have to hit all the yellow circles, same as you young 'uns.
I've been away over the last year and came back to find the new gates at Finsbury Park. I had no idea I am supposed to scan through the gates and again at the bottom to use the underground. I've had a nasty shock when charged £4.40 to travel from zone 2 to zone 1 on the Picadilly line because of this. And it seems I am also a fare dodger because I've not scanned in!! I've had no information from TFL (they have my email) and there are no notices on the platforms. This confusion must be making them an nice bit of extra revenue for their bosses bonuses!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service