Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I while back I did an FOI request regarding Revenue made from Finsbury park and how the money is invested.

Here is the response

Dear MrXXXXX,

Re: Freedom of Information Act Request ref: LBH/4225715

Thank you for your request for information received on 22 April 2015, in
which you asked for the following information:

My response is as follows:

Could you please tell me how much money was LB Haringey made from hiring
out Finsbury Park for concerts and Fun fairs in 2014? £845k.

Could you please tell me how much is the annul budget for Finsbury Park?
We do not budget for Finsbury Park separately, it is contained within the
budget for the whole of the west of the borough.

Could you please tell me how many litter pickers work at the park full
time? 1.5 full time equivalent.

Could you please tell me how much revenue was made when fining people for
having illegal barbecues in the park? None

To be honest I'm kicking myself regarding the crap questions I asked. If anyone has any better questions regarding the park please let me know and I'll resubmit another request.  Also how can you split a full time job into 1.5?

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park

Views: 969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a  lot of respect for the staff who work in and manage our Parks. In my experience they try to be clear, open and honest with residents. (Often difficult under the present regime.)

It's interesting that Ben has joined many other residents who need to use the Freedom of Information Act (F.o.I.) to try prising information out of our Council.  Information which should really be open and easily available online in the normal course of things. This would probably save money by avoiding the need to use the F.o.I.  As well as starting to repair trust in the Council badly damaged by its culture of secrecy, spin and propaganda.

I look forward to a post-Kober era when the whole Council can live in truth.

P.S. Clive, HOL site rules stipulate that you identify yourself as a current LibDem councillor. Not everyone will know that.  I am a former Labour councillor; now recovering. My political declaration is on this page.

Alan I am an ordinary Member of the Friends of Finsbury Park and I would encourage you and others to join. I am also on the Management Committee of the Friends group. My views expressed are normally my own, but on the subject of FP, I doubt that my views differ much from the Friends' group.

Finsbury Park is my local park. It has been a subject of interest for many years and a matter of increasing concern in the last 18 months. This, partly due to the way large amounts of cash are raised on the back of our park and how apparently little of it finds its way back to benefit the park. If our park merely had to pay it's "own" way, much less actual damage would be done.

In January of last year, before I was elected, the Minority Liberal Democrat group Called In the Labour Cabinet's major Events policy. They knew it would mean trouble. For three hours the public gave testimony to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee. The Labour Chairman gave a marvellous display of sympathy and siding with the public. At one point, he even had me applauding his flourishes for the gallery. At the end of the meeting, no action was taken. It was all for nothing. A waste of time. Empty.

However, the Friends of Finsbury Park are now much energised. We are (a) a registered charity (b) a limited company, and not least (c) independent of the Council. I hope you and Zena can come along to their next meeting on Tuesday.

CDC

Highgate Cllr. and Stroud Green Resident

Could the council implement a grammar tax to earn a few extra quid?

I only took the photo because of the obvious example, didn't notice the more subtle one's ones until just now.

THE Fun Fair is genuinely used by familys family's families, especially familie's families with young children. Even if at the entrance, their there they're "on camera".

The fun fair is the kind of event that is broadly welcomed in our park. It's short-lived, relatively small scale and has little impact on the park. Their noise is not at Live Nation levels. I don't get the feeling with the fun fair that they've taken over the park.

Ben, thanks so much for putting in those questions.  It's a brilliant start.  Nearly a million pounds shouldn't equate to 1.5 full time litter pickers. 

Does this money include the amount made for using the hardstanding for film crews? There have been loads this year.   Does it also include the money made from hire of park for coaches for Arsenal matches?

I have nothing against the smaller events in the park but the bigger ones are terrible for park users and the locality as well as contributing heavily to wear and tear.  It would be good to know how much the smaller events make in all, as opposed to the bigger ones.

Apart from the considerable mauling to the grass from the concerts, which nothing has been done about, the money could go towards new picnic tables all of which have been burnt and melted by the illegal barbecues.  The fence around the concrete area by the railway line is collapsing.  Either this should be replaced or pulled down.  Either way it's dangerous.

If the council puts up notices saying it's illegal to make barbecues, drop litter or feed the ducks, then someone, like a park keeper, should be on hand to implement them.  Otherwise all those expensive signs are pointless.  Surely a little amount from the 847K could be made available for a park-keeper.

The same litter  bins have been in the park since I moved in 22 years ago.  Due to the proliferation of birds of prey and foxes, litter is picked out of the bins and strewn around, making it horrible for the 1.5 litter pickers, but also for all park users.  Could a portion of this money go towards new bigger bins, with lids?

Should we all write to our councillors?  Or do they read this?

I can only assume the response is solely based on my questions. I think the revenue made is higher than stated.

With regards to action, the best thing anyone should do is join The Friends of Finsbury Park http://thefriendsoffinsburypark.org.uk. I have recently joined and attended a meeting. I urge as many of you to do the same.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service