Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Sunshine & 18 degrees max today. Stalls: 116. More food. More live music. Two stages. Kids crafts. Open 12 noon - 6pm.

9 months in the planning.

The people making it happen and street scene 8am Sunday 18th Sept 2011 (click on images for detail if you want);

[ NOTE: Now other post festival chat & photos being added as well ]

Rob Chau; event organiser (Harringay Traders)

Shef Mehmet; event organiser (Harringay Traders)

Andy Newman; event organiser (Garden Residents Assoc or GRA)

Local police

Veolia cleaners

' V ' = volunteer (ie. no pay!) Some are council employees

Volunteers

Rob Chau's sister, helping out (with list of 116 stalls). Rob's wife and son were also helping out this morning.

Local resident (of 35 years!) Pemberton Rd

Looking North (outside Railway Fields)

Salisbury stage; programme of events

Old Ale Emporium stage; programme of events

There's a 'green' angle to this year's festival (as well as food and music). Hand prints from local school children. School choir singing Salisbury stage later.

Tags for Forum Posts: Festival, Harringay

Views: 4186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I had the pork roll too and it was delicious. I thought £5 was fine when compared with prices on other stalls (although I'd agree that the portion was a little on the small side). Most of my friends were persuaded to have one too. The sauce was a little hot (for my tastes), which i wasn't expecting - I wasn't given the choice of just having a little, which I would have preferred if I had realised. That said, the heat of the sauce didn't seem to bother any of my friends at all. I would have liked a second...
Not very adventurous but stayed local and had a falafal wrap from Hala's stall. Nice but cold (neither the wrap nor falafal got warmed on the grill - didn't notice til too late otherwise I'd have asked), which was a little disappointing. My son had the macaroni which went down a treat.

I had green chicken curry from YumYums Thai - it's by far the best in London that I've tasted and a bargain at £5 including rice. Normal takeaway price is almost double that.

I think £5 for a lunch is pretty good, especially if it's such good quality.

Am I right in thinking there were two stalls selling crepes right next to each other? Not such clever planning there.

Also a shame that Moka, the new cafe on Wightman road, didn't have a presence - I spoke to the owner last week and he is just flat out trying to run the cafe and couldn't get away to do a stall at the festival.

My personal prize for best outfit goes to the man I saw standing at the 341 bus stop just up from the Salisbury, in full Egyptian pharaoh outfit, including head-dress with plaits and a sceptre toppped with an ankh.

yes! I saw him too.

Did anyone speak with him? was that his "Sunday Best" or does he dress like a pharaoh all the time? 

I saw him. He looked totally confused. Muttered something about the British Museum being cold at night. :)
Wait a minute - I saw a pharaoh the previous sunday near tottenham green leisure centre. He must take the 341....
I had the pulled pork sandwich - I was at the festival for most of the afternoon and sampled widely, and it was far and away my highlight of the day.  My wife thought the mild sauce was a bit too hot for her liking, but I thought it was perfect.  Particular thumbs up on the slaw.
Thanks Malcolm! You've really made our day! We have had to trial our spice rub at least 6 times to get the balance of spice right without losing the flavour - the first time nearly blew our heads off. I personally cannot tolerate much heat, whereas my partner likes really hot food so we came up with mild and spicy to accommodate different tastes :) If you have time, please look us up on google!
we thought it was all very tasty but the portion of actual pork was incredibly small! We both commented that you gave our more bbq sauce then actual meet. You get 4x as much bbq at Bodeans for £6, maybe you guys can be a bit more giving for £5 a sandwich

Great day out. Loved the fact even Pizza Hut got in on the street stall action. Some of our favourite signs were "Cocktails and Scrumpy" and "Rum Slush". LOVED the kimchiwurst and thoroughly enjoyed the nursery atmosphere in the Salisbury as I've recently become a parent myself. : )

Hope it all happens again next year. An excellent festival! 

We had great fun too.  Sophie's ice creams were delicious and so were the veggie noodles and churros we had.  The balloon man (Bruce Airhead), the robot bin, and the other entertainers went down a treat with the kids.  I didnt think the food was overpriced and it was a lovely afternoon out.  I posted on my facebook page that this was a timely reminder of what is great about our city.  Well done to everyone organising this!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service