Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

When I moved to the area two years ago, I was clearing my overgrown garden and was bitten by very small fly like insects, which was followed by severe swelling and itching.

After a hiatus last year, they're back. Apparently our warm, muggy and wet summer has created a 'perfect storm' for biting insects, and I'd have to agree.

So far, I've been bitten around half a dozen times. Where I hadn't noticed them before they had their fix, on my arm, leg and foot, the swelling is impressive, the itching has been phenomenal. This time I wasn't gardening, just sitting out in my garden and for the first time I was bitten elsewhere - in Fairland Park.

Fortunately at the weekend I was able to catch a few and I'm posting them to Haringey's Pest Control Team for identification. I've attached a poor photo of a few of them.

I've heard from someone else that a child was bitten in the leg and couldn't attend school as the swelling was so bad. Has anyone else been bitten?

Tags for Forum Posts: insect bites

Views: 7744

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm v allergic to mosquito bites - one bite near my eye and my eye puffs up and closes. I'm told by a friend who is also v allergic and was bitten badly this week that he'd found out there are some particularly nasty mosquitos breeding in London currently (originally brought in from abroad) and they of course are having a field day in this hot weather. My daughter(staying over for a night) on Wed got bitten 3 times and kept awake by the mozzy and the swelling itching bites. I learnt years ago to carry antihistamine tablets wherever I go. If you take one it takes 10 -20 minutes before relief sets in - completely! In the meantime some ice cubes wrapped in a cloth, or frozen peas on the area, bring instant relief!

I assumed the eye swellings was you getting into fights with Liam Gallagher in the Salisbury

No,not been bitten yet,but it may be due to the Boroughs fortnightly refuse collection instead of weekly.

The non collection of rubbish means it all sits around for longer,creating opportunity for more insects.

Just a thought
Watch out for cellulitis. A couple of years ago I was bitten by the smallest midges I have ever seen. Less than 5 mm. My ankle joint swelled to twice its normal size.
Suppose we should be wearing insect repellant to minimise the risk, and don't wear perfume

Perhaps we can make some repellant,anybody got a good recipe?

Hi, I was bitten by the same things ! I noticed 2 on my leg when in the garden a couple of months ago, brushed them off, didn't think any more of it, 2 days later I was in casualty, my leg was a right mess. The doctors didn't know what they could have been but said they'd seen quite a few people this summer with the same story. Have you heard back as to what they might be ?

"The doctors didn't know what they could have been but said they'd seen quite a few people this summer with the same story."

Can I suggest you contact Cllr Peter Morton who is the "Cabinet" councillor for Health and Wellbeing, asking him to check whether or not the systems are properly in replace for reporting an increase in such incidents and if there has been a changed pattern of complaints to GPs A&E , etc.

Email:  peter.morton@haringey.gov.uk

Climate change almost certainly means a change in the distribution of insects and the predators which keep them in check. And in the precautions we should consider taking, both to avoid getting bitten and treating bites. As I've posted before, it seems to me that small children are especially vulnerable - whether sleeping or just toddling round a garden.

Thanks Alan, will do

It may be, of course, that the imminent Scottish Referendum rather than Climate Change has prompted the influx of midges. Post-Independence, few red-blooded southerners will venture north of the international border.

No, I haven't received a reply yet.

I was out gardening on the Frobisher Road planters last night and one of them got me on the leg - it has swelled up and is quite painful to walk on. I even sprayed some repellent beforehand. I felt it bite me and there was the tell-tale red dot and the almost immediate irritation.

Since I posted this thread, I have still seen them in my garden but go inside straight away when they appear as it's just not worth being bitten vs enjoying a summer evening outdoors.

Blimey, sorry to hear that Nick, they certainly give a nasty bite, one of my bites has healed ok but the other one still itches 2 months later. After reading online that a lot of bugs don't like garlic I went and bought a big jar of pureed garlic and mixed it with warm water in a watering can and watered the garden - I haven't been bitten since so might be worth a go

HC 45 cream

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service