Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The fishmongers between Burgoyne and Umfreville has closed and been replaced (presumably temporarily) by a man selling some watches and mobile phone covers. (Is there enough of a mark up on these products to make this profitable?!)

Pity the fish shop did not survive but although I was pleased with my purchases (live crabs, mackerel, squid etc) there, they did also stock some not very attractive, clearly past it specimens at times....

The staff were always polite but unable to answer any questions regarding the fish, including what species some of them were which did not promote a massive amount of confidence in it.

And all the signs were spelt wrong

But I still think a good fishmongers would thrive on Green Lanes if someone fancies opening one.

Anyone heard any rumours about what might replace it on a more permanent basis? Not a chicken shop or betting shop please....

Any recommendations for other good fish shops? I've been to the one in Stroud Green which is decent but a bit pricey...

Views: 238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is one in woodgreen at weekends next to cafe nero. seems pretty good.

cheers

Gareth
The stall at Wood Green is actually there Thursdays and Fridays as well I think. Their range is more limited and they can't gut/scale stuff (you need running water) but their stuff is usually cooking-ready. We've always found them incredibly friendly (they've got things like clams in for us on order), and the fish very fresh and reasonable. Because they're a stall, I think they pretty much buy it fresh every day at Billingsgate. We've been using them for years and would definitely recommend them.
Oh, and we've never bought from them but the Chinese food shop opposite Turnpike Lane tube station has live crabs and other shell fish too.
There's a Chinese food shop near Turnpike Lane? Where? Is it on Westbury Ave?
Yes, next door to the Chinese restaurant. It's remarkably anonymous but a real Aladdin's cave. Lived here 7 years and only noticed it recently! There's also an Oriental store in the Wood Green market at the back of the Mall which includes more Thai products and spices and herbs.
I'd beg to differ about about the fish stall next to Cafe Nero on the WG High street. They always clean fish like mackerel, sea bream etc for me as part of the service. They have a cleaning board at the back of the stall, and are always willing + at no extra charge.

I can confirm they are open on Thursdays & Fridays, and I'm fairly confident that they might be there on Tuesday & Wednesday as well.

Likewise I recommend them also, I think they're by far and away the best wet fish shop in walking distance. Right now, the fresh sardines are excellent.
If you want to buy direct from fishermen, guaranteed non-endangered, check out lfm.org.uk - nice new website has charming tiny pictures.
the best fish shop in the area is the one near where green lanes crosses the north cuircular
There is also the Cypriot fishmongers at the back of the indoor food market in the 'Mall'. It's been there for as long as I can remember (30 yrs or so) my Mum used to buy our fish there and I do too know. reasonabley priced, reasonable quality (without the car fumes) and they will happily fillet, descale or whatever you need doing.
Agree Hannah, that's a brilliant one, and they really know their stuff too. I don't trust fish that's sitting out in the sun and the fumes, it's too easy for it to go off. They also prove that a good fishmongers does not stink. If it stinks, don't go in. Fresh fish does not smell. Fact.
Except that when someone puts fresh - or old - fish in a bin, like the one I put something in on the High Road just yesterday, it soon stinks the bin out! Urrgghh...
sure that was fish, Paulie....? urgh

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service