Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This is the outcome of the week long operation we conducted with the enforcement team.

A driver who fly-tipped oil and rubbish into a residential street has been electronically tagged and banned from leaving his home between 1pm and 11pm each day for two months.

On 28 June at Wood Green Crown Court, Frederick Monk of Tottenham, was found guilty of fly tipping. Monk received a 12 month community order attaching the tagging requirement and was told a breach of the curfew or the order could result in imprisonment.

The sentence related to an incident in Colina Mews N15 in May 2010 when an oily black liquid was dumped with other rubbish onto the street.

The fire inspector declared the spillage as a chemical incident and several residents had to be evacuated from their homes.

With help from local witnesses and Haringey's enforcement team, police tracked down the owner of the vehicle and also found a trail of black liquid leading to an open backed lorry parked nearby.

Haringey's Cabinet Member for the Environment said:

"It is unbelievable that someone could think it alright to deposit this mess onto a residential street and get away with it. I thank those residents who helped us trace the culprit and pledge that we will do all we can to prevent rogues like this from defacing our streets, not to mention the inconvenience to all those people who had to leave their homes."

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So it's TV for him for the next two months..

Can somebody explain a community order please..

A sentence of two months street cleaning in Harringay would have been much better and who have let him see what damage 'a'holes like him do..

Those community service orders ("punishment in the community") are great in principle but hard to administer. Those I've known who got them say that half the time they show up and there is no work for them, and the other half of the time the organiser doesn't show up. Maybe others have heard better? If they really worked, the streets would be full of people in orange jump-suits cleaning up dogshit and graffiti. Not round here they're not.

But still, better than incarceration at £1000pw or whatever. I hope they crushed his van.

Well it is is good he got convicted so well done police.

Less impressed with judge though.....I would have thought community service cleaning the streets would be more apt than tagging.

did he get fined to cover the significant costs of cleaning up after his dumping?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service