Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A 'Street Briefing' will be held by Chief Inspector Michael Loebenberg on Wednesday 9th April at 1900 about Ducketts Common where you will be able to receive further updates on what is happening in this area.

Views: 2004

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Glyn. Can you let us have location details of the meeting please.
Piss up and brewery come to mind.

Via Pauline Sydell, Community Neighbourhood Watch Link Manager Haringey Borough:

"The  'Street Briefing' will take place at Ducketts Common, near to the Turnpike Lane entrance."

I will definitely try to make it if I can get back in time.  Something must be done about the dealing and smoking of drugs there.  There was a large silver car parked outside the entrance of the football pitch the other day in broad daylight and the smell was so unbelieably strong and it was obvious what was happening.  We should be able to let our older children go to the park without adult supervision, but at the moment it is a no-go.  It is sad specially with locally people making so much effort to improve the park. 

Very good street briefing today.  Shame about the poor turnout. 

There were about 16 or 17 uniforms there, CI Loebenberg, a rather large sergeant and a variety of constables (I think one was a CSO).  I turned up and we stood around until TWO more people arrived: a chap who lives at the top of W. Green Road, a lady who lives on the Ladder, and me -- and THAT. WAS. IT.

One may question the necessity of so many officers attending a simple info session but one can also question the lack of enthusiasm of various community representatives who were not there. It is not good that so few people came.  I can imagine that the various representatives and Councillors might argue that they have more opportunities anyway to speak to the Police and so did not need to be at such a meeting.  That is not the point.  The Police had made an effort to come and to deliver some information, psychologically it must have been very depressing for them to have had such a poor response.  They are professionals I know, but they are also humans and I am sure would have gone away from that meeting with at least a slight feeling that the job they are doing is not appreciated.  Even if this impacts on their enthusiasm to just a tiny degree, to a tiny degree, it does not do the Ladder any good.

We were told of drug dealing and the difficulties of actually getting an arrest to stick. Apparently the police have recently finished a 3 month operation in which plain clothes officers bought drugs in order to identify the perps.  So far they have arrested 15 people as a result of this operation, with at least one being apprehended in Luton, so Duckets is an attractive place for dealers from a fair distance. 

I understand why.  It is right next to Turnpike Lane station, a communications hub, meaning that if you are so inclined you can slip in and out of the area quite easily.  The same preconditions apply to prostitution.  A couple of female passers-by stopped long enough to complain about what one lady referred to as a game of hide-and-seek.

I can see the difficulties the Police face but there has to be a better way than making a concentrated operation in one area and then going off to deal with another trouble spot elsewhere.  Despite the 3-month operation, drug dealing appears to be a constant.  I have never seen the betting shop round the corner from Costa without at least three shady looking individuals hanging about in front of the entrance.  One of the officers said he was "aware" of it.  Aware isn't enough.  Also I was not that much impressed by two assertions made by CI Loebenberg:

1) if you patrol one place, you will push the criminals to another place, and

2) in any case, dealers would not necessarily be frightened off by uniformed officers patrolling the park more intensively.

btw.  I am not arguing for the installation of cameras.  We have enough cameras already, they do not perform well in poor light and criminals have various tricks for hiding their faces anyway.

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

He's right about them being pushed away to other places but the point is that like shops, they want the places they're in - location, location, location.

The police certainly have the resources to attend our homes on a 1-to-1 basis for half an hour and discuss issues with us if we want (Harassment Notices anyone?). Perhaps they can help with the dishes and getting little Jonny to do his bloody homework while they're there.

And also don't forget Lydia, because I know you will remember, Glyn used to have a very good presence on HarringayOnline but was stopped from posting by his "superiors". Some of the Met officers on Twitter are exceptionally good at it and are worth far more than the millions the Met pour into public relations every year. I don't feel sorry for them at all, they could have been sitting in their office at Duckett's Common engaging with far more residents during the day than seeing how many could be bothered tromping out to see them at the busiest time of the day at home for many.

Indeed, the chap from West Green Road did mention that he was there without his wife because she was at home taking care of the baby.

Nevertheless it was a shame that so few turned up.  It cannot have done anything to increase the officers' enthusiasm for doing more.

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

There is an LCSP meeting going on in five minutes. The GLSG will be discussed there. I can be online (still at work) but can't make these meetings. Please tell me the downside to having a meeting like that online. An upside (other than universal attendance) is instant minutes.

No surprise at the low turnout.  A weekday at 19:00 - what were they thinking.  Many with a job will still be commuting or be still at work..

Piss up and brewery still come to mind.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service