Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Picture: Copyright Tom Cox (@coxytom)

Shortly before 5:30 this afternoon a fire started in the garage on Wightman Road, just opposite Effingham Road. As the story unfolded on Twitter, Tom Cox (@coxytom) sent us the picture above, and others soon followed - added below.

@Neightgreen tells us that no one has been hurt.

Tags for Forum Posts: wightman road car repair workshop

Views: 6018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The aftermath:

Picture: Copyright Johann Rodríguez (@johannsa)

So sad they are a bunch of nice guys who work hard, I hope they can recover from this.

Their family lives will be damaged.

Another morning after picture:

Picture: Copyright Tom Cox (@coxytom)

Such a shame, such a lovely little building and it was great to have it as a workspace. So sorry for the owners!

The garage in my road is also going to be demolished... in favour for a block of flats! Gone along with other little businesses. So is the old warehouse round the corner which has been abandonned for so long that demolition is the only answer now. I so hate the idea of replacing semi-industrial plots with more homes!! Hopefully that's not happening in Wightman Road.......

Does anyone know what the building was originally?

(sorry Hugh, I'm sure I could find out if I looked through your wonderful picture archive)

I'm not sure exactly, but it was some type of Hornsey UDC (Urban District Council) facility. Perhaps for keeping road cleaning equipment and the like? Someone else may have better info. 

An invitation to tender for the following appears in the Surveyor of 1900 (google books):

The Hornsey Urban District Council are prepared to receive tenders for:

(a) Stables, Cart-shed, Stores &c at the proposed new Highway Depot, Wightman-road, South Haringey, and

(b) Shed, Mess-Room, Store, &c, at the Sub-Depot, Wightman-road, North Haringey.

Plans and specifications may be seen and copies of the quantities and forms of tender and all information obtained, on application to Mr. E.J. Lovegrove, Surveyor...

(and then my snippet view runs out).

This could have been (b)?

Editing to add: I guess (a) was where the Jewson's complex is right now, going by the cobbled entrance way.  I'm guessing no one wants a repetition of the distinctive Jewson's architecture at the top of Effingham.

brilliant stuff - have you got a link to the book please?

Hey, thanks Linka. I knew I'd read that somewhere.

I think the southern depot is still there. It too now houses a garage.

Here's a link to the publication Linka tracked down - though she seems to have been able to see rather more than I was offered!

The eagle-eyed amongst you may also have spotted that Hornsey UDC used the 'Haringey' spelling in its advertisement.

This was due to an anonymous Victorian bureaucrat deciding at some point that, despite common usage, the 'correct' spelling of our neighbourhood was 'Haringey'. This was fiercely resisted by the Harringay Ratepayers Association and the Council eventually relented. In the meantime signs were erected along the Harringay Passage carrying both variants spellings. They remain to this day as a memory of that battle of wills of long ago.

Gordon, if you want links to more historical books on the area, see the footnotes in my Wikipedia articles on Harringay's history.There's also lots more fascinating snippets in our history group.

Thanks Hugh

I took my son to see the aftermath on Sunday and ran in to an elderly gentleman who has lived here all his life.  He said at some point the building was a council depot and before that it was a firestation with horses and carts.  He also told me that the park was the result of a bomb during the war and that he remembered it well.  Wish I had got his name as he was a lovely man with lots of local knowledge.

We are very glad to hear that nobody were hurt, and our sympathies go to to the owners of the business and hope they find new space soon.  If the council doesn't restore and return to them maybe they could keep the facade and build a new medical centre with some decent doctors like on Park Road.  We are sadly lacking this side of the railway.

A lovely, quirky piece of architecture, a workplace and a local service; and all gone--how very sad.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service