Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We have had a spate of door to door charity types recently....weekday evenings around 8pm, and Saturday lunchtime was the most recent.
Charities have included St Mungos - collecting for the homeless, and Battersea Dogs home.

The St Mungos lot knocked on my door twice in ten minutes - which drove me to email and complain.

I had a couple of issues:

1) Door to door "chugging" in my opinion is very invasive and for me will does more harm than good - I will not be pressured on my doorstep to give money/direct debit details to anyone.

2) Why on earth are they targeting my road in Tottenham Green, one of the poorest wards in the UK never mind London - majority of occupants on my road are either council tenants, non english speakers or in HMO's - or a combination of those.

I emailed St Mungos my complaints above.

Anyone else had an increase of this sort of cold calling?

Obviously I suggested they tried Crouch End/Muswell Hill/Harringay ladder as they are all loaded up that way....

Tags for Forum Posts: charity

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, they were out in Seven Sisters Ward last week

They're charities I really care about, too. Which somehow makes it all the more maddening...

I did, I'm afraid.  I have a doorbell, which works.  However, most of these callers obviously watch soaps where the front door is opened within nanoseconds of the bell being rung and, when I hadn't opened the door in the nanosecond they allowed me, they knocked.  Before I'd even got halfway to the door, they'd leaned over my flowerbeds and rapped on the window.  I was livid at this, told them why I was livid and shut the door without giving them a chance to do more than smile at me in a hopeful manner.  I then put a sign on my door saying no cold callers.  It's been lovely and quiet ever since!!

Like most people, I have favourite charities and have direct debits to donate to them on a monthly basis.  I don't need anyone coming to my door begging for more.

They knocked on the WINDOW? Good grief, that is harassment and could really scare a lot of people. If you know which charity they were working on behalf of, please report them!

Well yes. Which is why I didn't say that they did.

Didn't give them a chance to say who they were from.  But I think they got the message and have probably marked their clipboard "grumpy old woman" - especially as they were young and anyone over 25 is old to them!!

Now, must do my complaint to Tesco - not burger related though...

The main one near Seven Sisters' Tube.  I just needed a few bits so went to the self-service section.  Alas, I also had a couple of bottles of wine, which needs a store swipe card to confirm I'm over 18.  There is usually only one member of staff on this section and she was chatting to her supervisor.  Then three other people who'd gone to their tills after me also had problems and she dealt with them first.  I got so irritated I just left. 

They need at least two people on that section in busy times - the new Sainsbugs in WGR has one person for (I think) four or five tills: Tesco's section has at least 10.  I've witnessed other people walking out in frustration too.

I don't envy you.  However, I've been in regular email touch with a number of people at Fusion, who have - at last!! - done something about the boiler so we're not subjected to icy cold showers after a 7am swim any more (writing this with fingers crossed, of course) and the cleaning, or lack of it.  Now it's the pumps for the chemicals the pools need and/or staff shortages.  Haven't complained officially as yet, as I thought it only fair to give Fusion a chance to get that sorted and it's only been since Sunday...

The queueing system: could I suggest you get yourself an annual card if your attendances are frequent?  Much easier and you only have to wait once a year!!

Indeed so - the last lovely young thing that I found myself unable to run away from last time they came calling asked me if my title 'Ms' meant that I'd 'been married in the past' *bangs head repeatedly on desk*. I'm 35.

I was approached in the street (on the "loaded" Ladder) the other night by two young people whom I had seen going door to door.  I can't remember which charity it was - they didn't get a chance to tell me and I only got a glance at their clipboard - but I did point out to them that the rules that cover door-to-door collections are different from those covering street collections, and just because you are permitted to do one does not mean you can do the other (i.e. they shouldn't have been asking me in the street).  The young lady had a sixth form college lanyard around her neck and appeared to be about that age, so I'm guessing they perhaps are at the less experienced end of the chugger spectrum, which might mean they get more people's backs up.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service