Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Nothing to do with Harringay whatsoever, but a unique and rather intersting little film for the summer hols.

Diatoms are single cell algae that create jewel-like glass shells around themselves. As the popularity of microsopes took off in the Victorian era, hobbysits would arrange diatoms into complex patterns, invisible to the naked eye but spectacular when viewed under magnification. Incredible patience must have been needed. Other than the microscope their only tool was a pig's eyelash!

Klaus Kemp, the subject of this short film, is acknowledged as the last great practitioner of this beautiful combination of art and science. 

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fascinating, there must be some Diatoms in Harringay.

You're right. I missed a trick there as far as pretending the post had a local connection is concerned!

Probably billions in a cup of water from the New River

Here is the only local connection I've been able to find on a quick scan.

In the 1890s two members of the Microscopical Club, amongst whose primary concerns seems to have been diatoms, were from Harringay:

June 21, 1895. Newstead, F., 124. Wightman Road, Harringay, N.

Feb. 15, 1895. Measures, John W., M.R.C.S., L.S.A., 62, Burgoyne Road, Harringay, N

The presidential address for 1895 started with these stirring words:

In brass and glass the past year has been a busy one ; it might, to use a cycling phrase, almost be called a record. The new inventions and improvements in brass work have been neither few nor unimportant.

(Interesting to note that in 1895 "record" was considerd to be a cycling phrase.)

Good research Hugh, it also gives an insight into the professions of people who first moved onto 'the ladder'.  

I rather like the reverse sort of statement they used in those days; 'The new inventions and improvements in brass work have been neither few nor unimportant', it reminds me of a headmaster that used to say; "Offenders will be dealt with in no uncertain manner".

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service