Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

DEVELOPERS PROPOSE HUGE 140-DWELLING DEVELOPMENT to DOMINATE DOWNHILLS PARK

Keston Centre  N17 is at the south east side of Downhills Park accessed via Keston Road and  houses Haringey Council’s Childrens’ Services, West Green Nursery & the Goan Centre.

Pocket Living the developers propose to build a huge development of 140 flats /houses on the site some up to 4 storeys,dominating this precious green space . Its completely out of character with the  area , and will have a detrimental impact on local residents . And developers plan  to carve out an area of the Park for access and parking.

If you care about Downhills Park attend the  CONSULTATION MEETING ON 20 JULY 2016

Downhills Park Friends’ and residents’ main objections are to:

--the huge development of up to 4 storeys which will dominate our  award-winning park

-  carving out part of this protected green space currently enjoyed by the public

--the development being completely out of character with the surrounding 2-storey buildings

--the development posing a detrimental impact on local residents’ parking, local services & family lives

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Attend the official Consultation meeting and make your voice heard on  20 July 2016, 7pm – Haringey Planning Development Management Forum

or talk to the developers 3.30 - 6.30 pm  

Venue for both :  West Green Baptist Church, 182/184 West Green Rd, N15 5AF

• Join us to discuss further action and in making an objection to the planning application, due to be submitted to Haringey Council probably in September 2016 - for details contact Rod on 07584 253699 or rodwells1@hotmail.co.uk

Background  In March 2015 Haringey Council’s Local Plan (Planning document) showed a proposed development on this site  of 87 dwellings and up to 5 storeys high, and more than 60 residents objected to this. 

Then Haringey council sold the land to developers, Pocket Living, despite total lack of consultation of  local residents and their  protests-which  were not even allowed  to be heard at the Councils Cabinet meeting . The plan allowed for a proposal of  102 residential units !.

Now Pocket Living are planning this huge development of 140 flats /houses is planned up to 4 storeys and dominating the Park !

BUT Planning permission still needs to be granted at the Council’s  planning committee l –possibly in September 2016

Tags for Forum Posts: development, downhill, keston

Views: 4919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't they need to build access across the parkland? That's important too.

I don't think so.  There is access to the existing building via Keston Road. 

I just looked at the original plans that went to the Council when they sold the land, and they want to swap 15sqm at the bit of the park north of Downhills school (I think, it's adjacent to the access road to the site) and they would give back 15sqm at the bottom of the park near to where the Banc Brasserie is.  I don't think it's an amount of space that really makes much difference. 

15 sq meters is the size of a decent sized living room.... and it's a straight swap anyway

And Pocket won the Evening Standard 2016 Best First Buy Property Award...

Yes and there was no parking was there in these homes?

Ha!  Who could object to a company who builds homes specifically so that people can get on the housing ladder (which in London is a total impossibility for the majority of young people), and which have to be sold as such, and at reduced prices, in perpetuity?  This is the kind of housing stock London needs for this demographic.  Their alternative is a dingy, damp basement flat or moving to Hertfordshire.  In my opinion, moving a sliver of a park that's probably flowerbed anyway is probably worth  what this development could bring.  And who knows, the residents of the building could join the Friends of Downhills and help to improve the park for everyone. 

Have you checked out the prices of these so called "affordable homes"? Also the developers have said only a percentage of these will be affordable as they have to make a profit

I think some Harringay locals may well have hit on the right solution.

Yes, the ones in Streatham are £256k or £150k if you can get Help to Buy.  I believe all the flats will be in the 'affordable to professionals' category that they build for.  I personally think they should have to apply the same rules to the houses they're planning on building, so that people with families can have the same opportunities to buy.  

There's a flat for sale on Dorset Road N15 currently, a 1 bed, 34 sq m, £269k.  You wouldn't  get help to buy because it's not a new build. 

Yes they need to slice a bit off the park to build because they cannot get access otherwise. That is why the council have posted this notice 

Attachments:

Genuine question: where on Marylebone High Street are there houses/flats that aren't above shops, which have gardens?  Most of the flats there are probably less than 800 m2, which is pretty titch compared with a house. 

Pocket Living build small flats that are specifically aimed at middle-income (less than £90k p.a.) first-time buyers, and they are priced at 20% lower than the local average.  When you come to sell, you have to do it through Pocket Living who work with the council to find a buyer.  Actually pretty commendable if it's true/works - I only know this info from their website so it could be social responsibility-wash. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service