Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I’ve cycled along green lanes everyday for almost 30y, but think it’s getting worse

yesterday, a large cement mixer passed me, and then immediately turned left across me. Thankfully it was turning slow enough, that I could turn with it, and get off the road. Unbelievable. I’m an experienced cyclist, but another cyclist may not have been so lucky

Then a few weeks ago, a car was been driven erratically. I looked across to see the driver on the phone. I told her to get off the phone, to which she kept telling me how pathetic I was. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take her photo, as I’m sure the police would have had to prosecute. Next time I will

i have been knocked off twice over the last few years, once with a pedestrian suddenly running across the road. And another time, a car turning left across me. Luckily both times I bounced well. But my old bones may not be so forgiving in future

Views: 1433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Green Lanes, harringay is terrible for cyclists and where I had my worst accident when a car knocked me flying when dashing to turn right as I was going northbound - my helmet probably saved my life and I got away with 2 broken ribs. However, there is probably no easy solution as there is no other way round the bridge and the other roads are quite a detour. The times for no parking could be better enforced and maybe extended as this does give much more space. It did get worse after the LTNs were introduced as forces more traffic to use Green Lanes - though the theory is that they reduce traffic overall. Also traffic getting worse now with the colder and wetter weather.

It's worth noting that the traffic jams in the Gardens roads started when Hermitage road was blocked to through traffic, this was the old short cut.

Green Lanes is a nasty road to cycle on & there are limited other options in this area. You can make reasonable, if less direct, routes by going along roads to the East, then cross over to Finsbury Park (at least in daylight).

Just think, if the car lobby had won the post-war battle for major roads across London, then Green Lanes could have been a radial motorway! See https://harringayonline.com/forum/topics/the-plan-to-make-green-lan...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service