Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I’ve cycled along green lanes everyday for almost 30y, but think it’s getting worse

yesterday, a large cement mixer passed me, and then immediately turned left across me. Thankfully it was turning slow enough, that I could turn with it, and get off the road. Unbelievable. I’m an experienced cyclist, but another cyclist may not have been so lucky

Then a few weeks ago, a car was been driven erratically. I looked across to see the driver on the phone. I told her to get off the phone, to which she kept telling me how pathetic I was. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take her photo, as I’m sure the police would have had to prosecute. Next time I will

i have been knocked off twice over the last few years, once with a pedestrian suddenly running across the road. And another time, a car turning left across me. Luckily both times I bounced well. But my old bones may not be so forgiving in future

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, it's unbelievably dangerous. If interested and you haven't already, you can join Haringey Cycling Campaign who are trying to improve things in the area for cycling: https://haringeycyclists.org/news/campaigning/

Had a driver of a white Audi try to drive over me at the Endymion Rd lights, they were in the RH lane, and turning traffic meant their lane was slowing down. I was in primary position in the LH lane, on an Urban Arrow cargo bike, surrounded by bike users, unable to avoid the car without endangering someone else, so I knocked on their door mirror as it appeared beside my handlebars. Best practise would have been to use the bell, but it was an emergency.

“You scratched my car!” came the scream from the unhinged passenger, sitting in the back, with a child. Driver shadowed me up the hill while the passenger threw things at me. Sweets I think, followed by the pot. Poor kid, having their mum throw their treats at a stranger.

For bike users the background daily low key aggression makes Green Lanes easily the worst part of any journey in or out of central London. The Haringey sized gap in cycling infrastructure on this road is shameful, dangerous and inefficient, all for the sake of a few dozen car park spaces, easily replaced by re-allocating a few residents spaces on each of the Gardens and ladder roads.

I find it very frustrating that Haringey Council had a golden opportunity to rework Wightman Road to make it safer for cyclists. Unfortunately they made a hames of it and made it MORE dangerous. Same with Broad Lane/Monument Way: they could have made it cycle friendly throughout but just made it more dangerous!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service