Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

St Ann's ward member Nilgun Canver was one of a handful of Haringey Labour party councillors who have openly declared their opposition to changing the way we elect MPs in a full page advert published in the press today.

Other councillors including Sheila Peacock (Northumberland Park) and Isodors Diakedes (Tottenham Green) also appear in a separate Labour party campaign against the change from first-past-the-post to the alternative vote, which I believe is used for elections in Scotland, Wales, and the Greater London Assembly.

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder who paid for that? It cost £500 to put a full page add in the Haringey Advertiser during last year's local elections. What would David Lammy and Ed Milliband make of that I wonder?

No need to "wonder", John. Just ask.

Email whichever organisation is shown as placing the ad and ask them. If people on different sides of this debate want to sign things, and/or put their hands in their pockets to help pay for ads, what's the problem?

Expenditure on newspaper adverts in last year's local elections - like everything else the parties/candidates spent during the campaign (e.g. on leaflets) - must be declared. There are limits laid down by law. Which incidentally is one reason why having party volunteers is important. If a party or candidate has to pay someone to deliver their leaflets during an election, that too must be declared - in addition to the printing costs.

Can it be that Nilgun feels that the Party List form of PR, brought in by the 2009 European Elections Act, delivered her so few votes in May of that year that it has turned her permanently PR-phobic, under whatever guise change may appear?  What these first-past-the-posters need is a good dose of STV (no, it isn't an easily transmitted disease) - as we have in Ireland (Republic) and in Northern Ireland for Local, European and Assembly elections. 

Can it be. Might it be? Should it be? Must it be? It must be! Serious, but not too much.

I think you know better than most, Alan, that in the wide and windy wastes of HOL speculation is sacred and, normally, fact-free. Thought I'd just lend a little support to an almost four-year tradition.
I think turnout will vary from ward to ward - higher, of course, in the wset of the borough. Good on the three of them for opposing it!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service