Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Journal is reporting this morning that a disabled pensioner is being taken to court in a long running row over a garden he has spent more than 14 years nurturing.

They report that housebound Yousri Awad, of Park Road, Crouch End, built a flourishing garden from scratch on a stretch of neglected communal land at the back of his home, but Haringey Council has launched a legal attack claiming he “assumed control” of the site without permission and has demanded he tear it down.

Neighbours have also complained that the garden was encroaching on the footpath and water from the hosepipe was making it slippery.

A council spokeswoman said: “Homes for Haringey (the Council's housing team) has offered to discuss the matter and seek a compromise with Mr Awad which would see him maintaining a smaller space in the garden, but unfortunately he has refused to discuss this with us.

“The majority of residents want the communal gardens to remain as they were and to be maintained by Homes for Haringey.”

Now, I'm sure the issue is complex and of course the Council has many priorities to balance, but I can't help wondering why so much effort is put into this whilst things like illegal estate agent and shops signs along Green Lanes are left unchallenged. Is this a case of the Council having its priorities wrong?

Views: 783

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@ Alan. Good point, well made.

an adjoining neighbour's garden

I wonder if this could be inaccurate exaggeration? The Journal article, if reproduced accurately and faithfully records the facts, speaks of a stretch of neglected communal land at the back of his home

As so often with parking enforcement, there seems to be little intelligence discretion in the application of council byelaws. I think laws need to be applied with humanity.

The disabled house-bound pensioner should not be completely free to garden "occupy" land he doesn't own; lets see him prosecuted with all the powers at the council's disposal ... after the council has been seen to deal effectively with the more serious cases of Lebensraum expansion.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service