Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Council Seeks to Move Crossrail 2 from Centre to North of Borough - Last Chance to TfL What you Think

As a result of the Council's aspirations for Wood Green, a further option has been added to the Crossrail 2 route. They want the Ally Pally option routed via Wood Green instead of Turnpike Lane.

Whilst this option may serve the Council's own aspirations, it moves the station away from a point that's as close to the centre of the borough as it's possible to get to one towards the northern boundary. The Turnpike Lane option also looks to be much better connected by road and I believe by bus too. What's more is that the Wood Green option would call for a huge ventilation shaft to be dug in Downhill's Park.

The TfL consultation ends on 8th Jan. If you'd like to have your say on this option click through to the consultation main page or go straight to the questions (If you're only interested in this part of the consultation, you need do no more than answer four questions and give your name.  

Tags for Forum Posts: crossrail, crossrail 2

Views: 4862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's in Option 4 of the Wood Green Area Action Plan, published last month.

The plan also considers real changes around Turnpike Lane, mainly it seems to 'create a sense of arrival' to the South of Wood Green.

The Council's favoured option—No.4— envisages buildings from 18 to 35 stories:

Outputs

• Density and height will shift towards the existing Wood Green library site to capitalise on a centrally located Crossrail 2 station and a major new square. Heights could range from 18-35 storeys

[page 64]

Tall buildings are envisaged in other places too: 22 stories in place of the Council's Apex House and 35 stories as part of the Tottenham Football Club development.

Correction - apparently the council have been buying up the other bldgs along Station Rd over the last few years, that they were leasing before so, all the more incentive to sell on to developers & move frontline to the library/new towers & back office to the Heartlands development behind WG. Makes sense really.

THE indecent haste with which the Wood Green regen. proposals are being pushed may be due to (a) the proximity of MIPIM in Cannes in March and/or (b) the worry that TfL may themselves compulsorily acquire land needed for Crossrail 2. If the latter, that might not be a bad thing for Londoners.

I also objected to this a couple of weeks ago and we've encouraged neighbours to do the same. I don't want to sound like a whinger but for the council to throw this out with no supporting plans or papers until the consultation is due to close feels utterly contemptuous of the 'consultation' process. Though I think we may have been here before, have we not?
I think it's too late. Creating Wood Green 'as the heart of the borough' seems to have become a key strategic council aim and cross rail 2 in Wood Green seems to a key part in that strategy.

With driverless ally pally cars from Wood Green to ally pally in 2025 I think this could work for the ally pally end.

Whilst the gay green lanesters are used to walking or having to get a bus to get anywhere so not having a Turnpike Lane station should not go miss the other end. ;)

Well I live in the N17 bit of West Green so am in no way a Green Lanester. I don't want the heart ripped out of my local park for an unnecessary ventilation shaft to support the council's unnecessary vanity/sell off project (them dressing this up as being about more housing for the borough/London is not convincing me). Nor do I want to see one station (Wood Green) redeveloped when doing two (Ally Pally and Turnpike Lane) would bring benefits to a far greater number of people and ensure that Cross Rail 2 is properly connected into existing overground services from Ally Pally which the Wood Green option wouldn't do.

But you're right it feels like a done deal and I'll eat my hat if it doesn't go the Wood Green way.

Julia, it is not a done deal. I urge you to write in to TfL by Friday and express your views. I happen to agree with you. 

Wood Green currently has amongst the lowest commercial rents in London. In order to make the Council's most ambitious proposal fly, rents would have to rise by about 50%. I invite you to consider the likelihood of this. TfL are not stupid, have responsibilities to London as a whole and will take into account a wider range of factors than the local planning department who are driven by a particular agenda.

You may yet have to buy a new hat!

Oh I have Clive don't worry! I hope you're right and I have to source a Paddy Ashdown edible titfer.

One thing that will be lost if the Wood Green option goes ahead is the connection to Rail Line from Alexandra Palace to Hertford North (Bowes Park, Palmers Green etc.) - interested what Bounds Green Ward Councillors think of that.

Personally divided loyalties, the Alexandra Palace option would be better for me in the long term, but the disruption near Alexandra Palace station for a long period would cause "a little local difficulty".

Not sure I understand - the Wood Green option will still go to New Southgate and connect to the rail line there?

No it only connects to line via Welwyn Garden City.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service