Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am becoming increasingly concerned about gangs of these women operating in Wood Green - again! I know there was a problem with them a few years ago but thought things had calmed down a bit but lately I have noticed lots of them again - yesterday on was on 67 bus and a huge gang got on and quite openly got out all of the clothes they had clearrly just stolen from shops in Wood Green and proceeded to throw the hangers on the floor and remove the price tags. They got off at the Kingsland shopping centre - probably to steal a few more items

I have also seen them begging all along Wood Green High Road- again they operate in gangs and are clearly not homeless and I can't imagine they get a great deal of money

My main concern is for more vulnerable members of the community who may not be as aware as others of potential thieves and pickpockets - like the 83 year old man who was robbed in broad daylight in Islington by two of these women.

I know they are banned from entering the West End now - I would be interested to know what the police are doing about them in Wood Green - perhaps a blanket ban of them entering shops is a good idea? perhaps if they realise that they are not welcome then they might go back to whichever hole they crawled out of?

Sorry trying not to make this sound like a Daily Mail type rant but it makes my blood boil - particularly for the poor shop owners who I can't imagine are having an easy time of it at the moment I am sure the last thing they need is these girls stealing from them.

Views: 590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this, all very useful information.

As Tamara's experience didn't really fall under the topics covered in the crime prevention advice, what do you suggest is the best action is for anyone who witnesses a similar thing again? I.e. a group who have obviously stolen goods, parading their "acquisitions" on a bus and intimidating the remaining passengers. Would you suggest telling the bus driver, or calling the 0300 number? We've all heard of the tragic incidents when people have intervened and found themselves on the receiving end of a knife for their troubles, but to do nothing means that these people will continue to get away with committing these crimes. Any advice would be appreciated.
At the risk of being accused of nit-picking, and possibly of causing a disturbance in a public place ( :) if needed), can I pick up on the statement "...CCTV coverage,... is a valuable tool in both deterring crime and in assisting police with bringing offenders to justice"

In fact there's little to no evidence that CCTV actually deters crime (see e.g. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/12/03151641/6 for a good summary), some evidence that it displaces it, and that it is least useful in complex situations such as Wood Green High Street.

There is some evidence that it improves the detection of crime (in terms of knowing that a crime has been committed) but not necessarily in bringing offenders to justice.

And this marginal benefit has to be weighed against the very real impact on privacy and liberty that widespread CCTV usage has.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Crime Watch...
Since it seems that the CCTV cameras on Green Lanes are there to catch parking infringements, are they actually monitored after 6.30 pm ?
John D.
CCTV cameras are not monitored after 6.30pm. The recordings are reviewed next day (fast forwarded).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service