Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am becoming increasingly concerned about gangs of these women operating in Wood Green - again! I know there was a problem with them a few years ago but thought things had calmed down a bit but lately I have noticed lots of them again - yesterday on was on 67 bus and a huge gang got on and quite openly got out all of the clothes they had clearrly just stolen from shops in Wood Green and proceeded to throw the hangers on the floor and remove the price tags. They got off at the Kingsland shopping centre - probably to steal a few more items

I have also seen them begging all along Wood Green High Road- again they operate in gangs and are clearly not homeless and I can't imagine they get a great deal of money

My main concern is for more vulnerable members of the community who may not be as aware as others of potential thieves and pickpockets - like the 83 year old man who was robbed in broad daylight in Islington by two of these women.

I know they are banned from entering the West End now - I would be interested to know what the police are doing about them in Wood Green - perhaps a blanket ban of them entering shops is a good idea? perhaps if they realise that they are not welcome then they might go back to whichever hole they crawled out of?

Sorry trying not to make this sound like a Daily Mail type rant but it makes my blood boil - particularly for the poor shop owners who I can't imagine are having an easy time of it at the moment I am sure the last thing they need is these girls stealing from them.

Views: 590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks for this - and apologies if the title of the post seems insensitive it really wasn't a blanket statement about anyone from Eastern Europe but I wanted to be quite clear about who it was I was speaking about. I promise I am about as far removed from your average Daily Mail reader as possible!! (not that I want ot offend anyone who read the Daily Mail either!)
I agree - surely we must be able to talk about people from a group without a charge of prejudice against the whole group? Otherwise discussions could become very vague and meaningless. The people that are involved in a crime or activity is a relevant piece of information because of the context that it gives to the situation which will help people to understand and address it.
This is a completely serious issue, and nothing to do with Daily Mail rants. This is not about stereotyping or racism, or ethnic divisions.

The fact is there are now small gangs of organised criminals who come to London to ply their 'trade'. They need to be caught, prosecuted and stopped.

It helps nobody if people are afraid to speak-up and speak-out. Least of all is it in the interest of people from those countries in central, eastern, and south-eastern Europe who have come here legally; who are working and contributing to our community in many many ways. Often putting down roots. Just as migrants from all over the world have done for centuries.

Please let's all tell the truth about what we see or experience. Talk to the police, especially the Safer Neighbourhood Teams. Talk to Children's Services. Talk to the Urban Environment Department when streets are blighted by criminals who move into temporary accommodation. Talk to each other as residents who share a common interest in living in safe neighbourhoods among other people who respect one another and welcome diversity - but don't prey on their neighbours.
Sorry, Hugh. I should have added: Labour councillor and prospective candidate for Tottenham Hale.
well said Katy M and Alan Stanton. I'm sure the criminals have a good old larf at us 'English?' people squabbling about whether we can mention somebody's place of origin while they get away with shoplifting and pickpocketing their way around London.
Hi Alan
thanks for this - practically what should people do if they see this kind of behaviour - do you know who the safer neighbourhoods contact is?
Hi Tamara,
It's been pointed out that several wards (and therefore different Police teams) cover High Road Wood Green. So I've asked for a general contact number for residents who want to pass on information or concerns. In the meantime, Police officers who visit this site may wish to post some advice.
Brilliant many thanks for this info Alan I think that would be really helpful - I never know who to contact
Sorry about the delay, Tamara. The council officer I needed to speak to was not available. So instead I spoke to Sgt Jono Clay-Michael of the Harringay Safer Neighbourhoods Team. He and his colleagues are well aware of the shoplifting and pickpocket gangs problem. He hopes to post on HoL shortly with some information. In the meantime their number is 020 8721 2677.

Of course, the Police emergency number is still 999.
To report a crime - not an emergency - the Police ask us to use: 0300 123 1212.
Hi Alan
thats really helpful thanks for looking into it - would be good to hear what the police are actually doing about this
Cameraphone?
Yes for all you iphone second gen users you can now by an app (3 quid) Qik Video. This is the very reason I bought it, to record any potential crimes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service