Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Opposition is building to the proposed 21 storey towers at Hale Wharf, the riverside site at Tottenham Hale, proposed by Muse developers, the development partner of the Canal and River Trust which owns the site.

150 objections have now been submitted, one of the latest being from London’s deputy mayor and local London Assembly member Joanne McCartney. London Mayor Sadiq Khan is due to give his views on 17 August, and Haringey will probably decide the application in October.

Most people in the area accept that there will be tall buildings around Tottenham Hale station. But they oppose this proposal which will dominate the River Lea, the Lee Valley Park and the new Walthamstow Wetlands reserve.  Haringey’s own policy says tall buildings should taper down away from the centres like the station – not get twice as high. There are also concerns that it provides no affordable housing in the towers, and at most 9% altogether if the second phase goes ahead.

“This proposal is too tall, badly designed, in the wrong place, and is not the housing mix that Haringey needs. It will destroy the atmosphere of the river and marshes” said Nicola Braggins, a local resident.

“The design is not in keeping with the area. It is designed to reflect industrial mill buildings typical of Lancashire. That has nothing to do with this part of the Lee, which has been characterised by low buildings. It is a poor design. It is uniform and uninteresting, and presents a dull wall to the river and to the reservoirs” said James Wheeler, a nearby boat dweller.

Objections have been submitted by many local organisations including

Tottenham Civic Society, Tottenham & Wood Green Friends of the Earth, Living Under One Sun, Friends of Tottenham Marshes, Stonebridge Boaters.

Views: 837

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Then I suggest you take a  look at Woodberry Down. That does exactly what you say you don't want.

I seem to recall that wasn't much open 'green space' at Tottenham Hale next to the Lea anyway. But it was the gateway to the Tottenham Marshes area further north.

I personally like the idea of the development of what was a run down post industrial area, dominated by continual traffic and the noise that makes.  But again, I don't live there.

I would also love to see the DLR extended up from Stratford to Tottenham Hale, with a branch  (from the south) around to Walthamstow Market (Central or just St James St). There's enough space (ex railway land) to acheive this.

Next time you're in London, Stephen, maybe you'll take a stroll in the green space next to the Lee. Have a look at the Paddock Park  and also what's happening with the Wetlands near the reservoirs. Maybe ask Quentin Given for a peek from his balcony over the river and reservoirs.
I love the reality that a *genuinely* mixed community, mixed in ages, classes, ethnicities, religions etc etc should be able to afford to live together next to such London beauty.

I was last there in 2014 Alan.  https://flic.kr/p/onMcBk Perhaps too long ago for you, but when were you last here?

But the group you missed out, on purpose or not, in your *genuinely' mixed communities jibe was 'newcomers'.

Without them, your recipe is a recipe for standstill. 

Also a view of the sadly missed 'old' Tottenham Hale  https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrc31176/4353985174/ ;-)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service