Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Following his failure to be reselected by the St Ann's Labour party Cllr Haley this afternoon announced his decision to cross the floor and join the Lib Dems.

I imagine that we can therefore expect imminently an announcement that he'll be standing with a different shirt on at the next elections.

I've been told that there's been intense discussion between the centre and the local party about this move.

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So it is, John. I wonder what his nicknames are?

Neville Watson – Neville is the Director of a sales and communications company
and is the Independent PPC for Tottenham. He is married with three children. He is
a regular contributor to the BBC on community issues and is the Chairman of a UK
based national charity, The Associations of Jamaicans UK Trust. He currently leads a
voluntary coaching and mentoring practice for men in prisons and psychiatric wards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This website has Harringay (spelt Haringay) down as a 'pocket of relative Tory strength'. Where do they get their information from?!
That website looks distinctly of a certain political bent (to me anyway):

The constituency includes the Broadwater Farm estate, notorious for the 1985 riots where PC Keith Blacklock was hacked to death. The estate underwent a massive facelift following the riots and is no longer a crime blackspot, but other areas of the seat like Tottenham Green continue to be blighted by crime, guns and drugs.

Formerly represented by the colourful Labour left-winger Bernie Grant, notorious for having allegedly described the Broadwater Farm riots as the police getting “a bloody good hiding”, the by-election following his death in 2000 was won by another black MP, David Lammy.

My emphasis.
Doesn't it. And the only 'comment' showing from one Justin Henchcliffe. That boy does get around.
Well, wasn't he ?
(hacked to death )
Was a Labour candidate for Noel Park in 2006.
Has it taken him 16 years to realise that Labour has enormous problems and going no-where in Haringey? He's not very honest with himself is he? Personally, I have no time for politicians who change colours. Its all to do with self......
Well political parties move around ideologically. Look at Neil Kinnock's Labour and Tony Blair's "New" Labour so I don't see this as so much of a problem.

The trick is to hitch a ride on the back of their ambition and selfishness and get your own needs sorted. Perhaps now that he's standing for a ward he actually lives in he might be more interested in sorting out some of its problems...
"Well political parties move around ideologically. Look at Neil Kinnock's Labour and Tony Blair's "New" Labour so I don't see this as so much of a problem."

Yes, one was a proper Labour party the other was/is not.
I would disagree, but if you really think that's the case then DO SOMETHING about it. Join a smaller party or even starta new one up!
As the person who recruited Brian Haley to the Labour Party almost exactly 16 years ago, I am saddened by his decision. Brian's is a cautionary and extreme example of what office holding can do. Elected office should surely be the means to put your politics into practice, not the other way round. Alas Brian must believe he is indispensible to Haringey Council, irrespective of his values and principles, and that level of conceit is never good.
Absolutely Not ! That's a typical dirigiste Labour attitude. Elected office should mean you put your principles into politics.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service