Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This photo was taken to advertise showing of The Blue Angel (starring Marlene Dietrich released in 1931) at the Wood Green Empire.

Apparently it is from the personal collection of the late cinema and theatre manager, Percy Swanwick, a keen amateur photographer.

This image shows a mock-up of Professor Rath and a 'boy' with a peashooter.

It is presumed that it was taken around Wood Green somewhere. Can anyone identify the location?

(This photo may also have been taken by Swannick).

Views: 50

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Without getting technical, the clue is in the short 'back addition', fairly unusual for the area... I thought it may have been the Noel Park (the rear of Pelham Road 'ish') because of the way the window cills slope down, but I am not sure.
something has been airbrushed out hasn't it?

was the guy on the left standing on a box? or was he even there at all?

I actually think both of them have been superimposed on to another photograph?
Or is he standing on a kerb stone at a junction?
That's probably what it is Steve. Perhaps it looked dirty or something and has just been cleaned up?
It often looks like people are superimposed in old photographs. Not sure why, maybe because of the long exposure time needed when it was taken and the degradation of the photo over time. I think this is genuine. The photos on the wall in Cafe Lemon are full of creepy looking levitating people on Harringay's streets.
The highlight areas tend to fade quicker, so yes, the light coloured kerbstone has disappeared. Now if you could find the negative and it's been properly stored, that information would still be there.

How many digi files will still be around in 80 years?

BTW I heard from my tech at work the other day that hard drives are not robust. They need to be spun up every three months or they can lock up. So I now have to instigate a routine where all those stacked up drives get given a nudge several times a year, to save my thousands of digi photos. Take note people.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service