Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anybody have any memories of the Campsbourne area of Hornsey, in the 1950s and 60s?

The area has changed so much (as I suppose much of London has). I was born in the mid fifties at 104 Myddleton Rd. The house was demolished later that decade, as part of a complete regeneration of the area. It was approximately where the Honeymead flats are now and was close to Cross Lane (Campsfield Road now). In the late fifties we were given a brand new flat in Boyton Close, at No 7 Elgar Block. I recall that my mum was thrilled to bits with her new home.

We moved into 80 Beechwood Rd in the early sixties, as the family grew. The house had a bath in the kitchen, that was covered in a purpose made worktop. They were all modernised in the mid sixties, with the fitting of a proper bathroom and toilet (so we were able to say goodbye to the outside loo!)

Does anyone recall the shops around there? The Nightingale Pub with off licence to the front. Tookies the newsagent and sweet shop, Swinyards the greengrocer next to it. On the corner of Hawthorn Rd was the Co Op, Carters (sweet shop again), a Barbers and best of all, a wool shop, that had the most amazing smell inside.

I would love to hear from anyone that recalls this area.

Mike Allder

Tags for Forum Posts: beauty in the borough, campsbourne estate

Views: 4964

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Steve

I do remember you living in the adjacent block of flats to us. My sister Julie and I, went to a birthday party at your flat. We were slightly older than you and thought it was hysterical when you tipped a bowl of cereals over your own head and just laughed about it. I remember that your Mum was not amused!

I do recall the chap in the greengrocers also. I also recall the old swimming pool where as you correctly state, all the kids went to catch newts. I certainly remember Miss Welch from school and most of the kids were terrified of her. My favourite teacher was Mr Smith, who taught me in the later years.

I assume the secret house in Campsbourne Rd was derelict? I used to play a lot in the houses in Brook Road with Steven Young.

Nice to here from you.

Mike

That is all news to me Mike about the cereal bowl. Lol

Wasn't Steven Young the caretaker's son.

Also, do you remember someone called Peter I believe who used to live on the top floor of the end block who used to work part time in Dixons. I think he was older than me so you may know him.

Hi Steve

Certainly was true about the cereals. My sister has just confirmed to me that it was generally Weetabix and you used to do it quite a lot. Hope you have got over it now! Steve Young was the caretakers son and was one of my best friends at school.

The only Peter I knew from there was Peter Bailey, who I think married Dawn Young, Steven's sister. Sadly, I think he died in an accident some years ago. I seem to recall seeing it on Friends Reunited.

Mike

Hi Mike/Steve

You are indeed correct Peter Bailey did die about 10 years ago and was married to Dawn Young, think Peter left three children.

I also communicate with Gill Copper, Janet Barnes, Elaine Fuller, Sharon Backhouse, Angela Scott etc all from the Campsbourne estate. Other names I have seen Maria Green and Kathy someone who libd near the second swingyards across the road from TAW. Also Lee Green.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service