Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Does anybody have any memories of the Campsbourne area of Hornsey, in the 1950s and 60s?

The area has changed so much (as I suppose much of London has). I was born in the mid fifties at 104 Myddleton Rd. The house was demolished later that decade, as part of a complete regeneration of the area. It was approximately where the Honeymead flats are now and was close to Cross Lane (Campsfield Road now). In the late fifties we were given a brand new flat in Boyton Close, at No 7 Elgar Block. I recall that my mum was thrilled to bits with her new home.

We moved into 80 Beechwood Rd in the early sixties, as the family grew. The house had a bath in the kitchen, that was covered in a purpose made worktop. They were all modernised in the mid sixties, with the fitting of a proper bathroom and toilet (so we were able to say goodbye to the outside loo!)

Does anyone recall the shops around there? The Nightingale Pub with off licence to the front. Tookies the newsagent and sweet shop, Swinyards the greengrocer next to it. On the corner of Hawthorn Rd was the Co Op, Carters (sweet shop again), a Barbers and best of all, a wool shop, that had the most amazing smell inside.

I would love to hear from anyone that recalls this area.

Mike Allder

Tags for Forum Posts: beauty in the borough, campsbourne estate

Views: 4925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Mark

Not sure if there is a connection my father was Douglas Sewell who's uncle was George Sewell. The family home was in Myddleton Road. My nan and grandad lived just of Boyton Road.  My granddad worked on the railways . My dad passed away over 20 yrs ago and would love to find any extended family of his.If any of the above rings a bell let me know 

Diane Sewell

Just came across this if it's of an interest, gents (and where else from of course but that famed London-centric publication The Farmer and Stock Breeder. (quite why you chaps didn't think of looking there escapes me).

Thanks for posting this Hugh.

First time I have ever seen a photo of Brook Road without the 'Tivendale' flats that were built on the right. We played in the houses on the left, when they were being demolished in the sixties. I also note the Nightingale pub on the top left, now of course, posh flats!

I will make a point of checking out the site you mention.

Hi Mike How are things

Where are you living these days, and do you keep in contact with anyone from Willy Grimshaw aka Creighton.

I still visit Hornsey when passing through en route to my sisters.

Hi Stephen

I live in Bedford now and occasionally manage to visit when down that way on business.

Unfortunately, I have not kept up any contact with anyone from my school days. Did hear though, that Jeff MacDonald lives near Colchester and runs a decorating company. Do you keep in touch with him, as I know you were big mates with him and his brothers at the time.

Mike

Hi mike

Funilly enough i met him last week at steve staniforthd 60th birthday lunch also in contact with kevin edwards what is mac ex wife your cousin ? upto these days have you retired

Hello to all ex 'The Campsbourne Residents'

Following a suggestion, by the one and only Hugh, I have managed to view a amateur film 'Beauty in the Borough' which I finally got Film London to put on line. It is now available for all to view, wherever you now live and, shows several of my old haunts, particularly the demolition of Campsbourne/Myddleton Roads. One scene shows the wet fish shop in Boyton road where two men are doing something to a tree, this got an earlier mention in the forum replies. Elgar Flats also get an outing.

If you get to view this 20  minute silent movie please add some supporting comments on their site as I, for one would not like to lose such a gem of an organisation. The link is below :-

https://www.londonsscreenarchives.org.uk/title/282/

If the link fails go to Film London site. Click red tab London Screen Archives and put the title in that search box.

I hope you enjoy it as much as did I.

Regards John Cunningham

Well done John. Totally amazing film that shows the actual houses in Myddleton Rd that I was born in.

It evens shows the flats at No7 Elgar, where we lived at the time this film was shot. I cannot be certain, but my Dad did own a van and I believe that the one shown outside the flat, could have been his.

Thanks so much. I did leave comments as you suggested.

Best regards

Mike

Fantastic John - I've posted links to it elsewhere.

Can anyone help me out here?

At 15.08 there is a shot of an extremely stark terrace awaiting demolition. Where is the location? I never knew the area until about 20 years later. Thanks.

Hi Stuart

That location is Myddleton Road at the junction of Cross Road, which is now Campsfield Road.

it is roughly where the Honeymead flats are located now. If you look to the right hand side up, you can see the tops of the newly built flats in Boyton Close.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, got it now!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service