Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just come back from teaching my ESOL class and in answer to " What did you do at the weekend ? " one of the students wrote " Me and my friends went to the cinema ". I said it should really be " I and my friends... " The student said that was what she put at school but her teacher said it should be " Me and my friends.. "

Is this what they teach nowadays or had she misunderstood ? ( Genuine question btw, not being sarky   )

Views: 786

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apologies to John D for my also sarky criticism of him. Had I read the post correctly I might have realised that he was not the dodgy teacher but the ESOL rhetorisist. 

Thanks Philip. but no need to apologise

To all concerned I recommend this article by David Foster Wallace, I and I found it very enlightening and entertaining http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/DFW_present_tense.html :-).

Thanks, Rich. I started reading the article with my first a cup of coffee this morning. Very enjoyable. I'm Looking forward to finishing it this evening.

P.S. I forgot to mention my special thanks for the trail-marker to David Foster Wallace and his  valuable words SNOOT and SNOOTitude. Though plainly the SNOOTs on HoL will joylessly chunter on regardless.

Yup, it's 'my friends and I', but that sounds a bit stilted so let me venture to suggest, 'I went to the cinema with my friends.'  Not a teacher.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service