Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've heard some shocking stories of people having to flee for their lives, just grabbing their kids and running out in their nightclothes taking nothing. Does anyone know what is being done for these poor people, or if a fund has been set up to help them?

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 3963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What on earth is the point in arranging a drop-off point where cars can't stop. I don't get it.

I missed Nick Clegg this afternoon (8 August). I'd heard a rumour that he was coming to the most badly damaged parts of Tottenham High Road, in Tottenham Hale ward. So I thought it was only polite that I went to say hello.

As there are no buses running I assumed that, like Boris, he'd be on his bike. So I went and stood in the roadway near Bruce Grove Station where people can still cross the High Road. There was no sign of him, so I spoke to some traders who'd lost their entire businesses.

I read later that he'd met some "Community Leaders". On TV I saw Claire Kober, David Lammy and some of the residents and traders who'd had homes and businesses burned or wrecked by the looters. I hope he listened carefully to what they told him.

Claire later issued a press release saying that she'd appealed for "immediate and long term help from the government to help to rebuild the parts of Haringey affected by the riots and restore community confidence". She told Nick Clegg that "immediate financial help was needed from the government to support families who have lost their homes and possessions and also to assist local businesses that have lost stock and have had their premises damaged."
(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Weren't you invited, Alan? I'm not sure how this whole being-elected-to-represent-a-ward-thing operates but I'm a bit surprised that the deputy prime minister wasn't introduced to you and the other councillors of affected wards.  'Maybe my definition of 'community leaders' isn't the same as theirs.  

I'm also a bit alarmed that some of the community leaders are retreads from 1985.  'Self appointed' can't be allowed to trump 'elected' surely. And Balkanisation is what got us where we are today.

As far as I'm concerned, the people in our community who the ones who are out there trying to clear it up, not the ones who knocked it down.

There are cleanups being organised through Twitter, times and locations can be found here: http://www.riotcleanup.co.uk/Locations/Archive.html Tottenham hasn't been given the all clear yet.

We're also trying to organise a collection in Crouch End to go to Apex, will post the details when it's sorted. If anyone would like to volunteer, we need drivers and maybe people to help collect things in, as well as donations of course! This will help people to donate who may find it difficult to get to Tottenham.

Thanks,

Dee

Please do let me know if three are drop offs to Apex House being organised, I would really like to donate some things but don't drive.

Well done HoL. Thanks for letting us all know how we can help.

I'm taking some things to Apex House on my way to work this morning.

Take care everyone.

Sunny x

Yes, the response has been so enthusiastic I've been envisaging mounds of clothing and food piling up unused. I'd like to donate money as it seems a bit more dignified to buy things of your own choice - after the initial survival needs are met, of course.
If you want to bring stuff to the Gardens Community Garden in Doncaster Gardens off Stanhope Gardens - Today
I will take it over at the end of the day today (Tuesday) can you get it to me in the Garden by 4pm so I can load it up

Someone to Help would be appreciated at 4pm also if possible

Can I ask please put it in bags and deposit in the garden next to the gates I will keep checking it to put it into storage till later

Andy - GRA
e-mail me via HOL details if you want to help me

the Gardens is located here to drop stuff off;
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=532087&y=188315&z=0&am...
Superb. Well done Andy.

Hello, Al here from Thornton's Budgens.

We are about to set up some cages outside the front of the store to accept donations which we will then drive up to Apex House in our home delivery van...

Thank you TB. We've tweeted this. Forget yr Twitter name
no, got it  - @budgens_CE

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service