Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A large building extension is currently being build at the back of 140 Fairfax Road (back on Effingham Road side).  It is very large and appears to need council planning permission.  I checked the Council Online Planning application but could not find any application for that address.  I just want to check if anyone knows about the building work going on at that address.  Thanks. 

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Michelle for your suggestions. I will do a FOI on this case.
Bloody Hell Coco, I have just opened the curtains at the back of our house and there it is. You're right that has shot up in days!

I am right in thinking if it is a whole house you can build an extension up to a certain amount without planning permission? This was what I was told?
Michelle
Have accepted you as a connection. Though sounds like you are well on top of this. My experience is more with unlawful developments (and the disconnect between Planning (who look at applications) and Enforcement/Litigation). I haven't had any dealings with Building Control so far. Permitted developments have limits too - for example, if a house has already been divided into flats, then I don' t think you can do any more expansion (eg loft conversion). Has your problem house actually got planning permission for all this work/conversion into flats?
Permitted developments have limits too - for example, if a house has already been divided into flats, then I don' t think you can do any more expansion (eg loft conversion).

Are you sure about this?

31 Frobisher Rd was illegally converted into flats and has a certificate of lawfulness. He got permission to build the biggest dormer I've ever seen from planning though.
My understanding of the rules (set out in the UDRP or whatever it's called) are that if a house has already been converted into 2 flats, permission is required for a loft conversion and will not be granted. This was in place 10 years ago when we used to live in a top floor flat on Umfreville and wanted to do a loft conversion. Nothing has changed.

According to Haringey's records, there is no COL application or grant for this property to be converted into flats. What there is is a COL application for this dormer. The decision was that no permission was required adn the report specifically notes that it is a "single dwellinghouse".

Sounds like this is worth pursuing, both for the illegal conversion into flats and for the wrongful decision that the loft conversion is a permitted development.

When was it illegally converted?
Thanks Adrian. I haven't dug too deep but at the end, it expressly says:

"the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes or other buildings."

So that may still prohibit a conversion if a house has already been split into two, because the loft conversion would be a development of a flat, not a house. Dunno.
Well I have asked Haringey planning to re-open the case given that the landlord did not let them know that the house (31 Frobisher) is flats and that he has probably been paying house council tax for 10 years instead of flats council tax. We'll see how far I get. I feel slightly miserable for doing this but I did build a back fence for him and he's a wanker.
Is Lammy any use on this kind of thing? If council officers have given up, does he know?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service