Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

does anyone have a recommendation for a builder who can turn an existing basement into a usable room - ie create/ dig a window and make sure its damp proof?

Tags for Forum Posts: basement conversion builder, cellar conversion

Views: 1759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I guess I should be thankful for small favours: I'm end of terrace so only would have to go though this procedure with one neighbour!

Net / net I think favour the loft conversion--especially in light of the info kindly provided here. On top  of all this I have met no one I trust to do what it seems any Victorian genius builder could do with a slide rule, a shovel and a horse drawn buggy--which is build the very uniquely British lower ground floor flat and have it highly usable. They are heroes to me.

Mine will stay a wine cellar.

Cheers guys. I'm dealing with contracts for a QS Surveyor for a commercial lease and I can see where this would all be going if this was something I put to use at my residence.

I was out in West London over the weekend and saw a double fronted Victorian house with one of those temporary front wood hoardings with its own front door that extend the front of the house to the edge of the property and I could see earth piled up inside all the way to the first floor!

I really dislike the thought of that boxy loft extension thing on the back of my roof but a lower ground floor basement facing north for big bucks doesn't sound like a great idea either--when yours is already fully dug to boot! Mine is only standing up capable in the corridor at the bottom of the basement stairs to the front of the house. The rest is all crawl space. What, 200K??!  If I had that 200K I would have bought on the other side of the tracks to our west in the first instance--as I am new and bought in at the top of the market. Might work for my neighbour who never misses a chance to tell me he paid 19K for his house 40 years ago--easy borrow. Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed there’s another thread called cellar conversion and someone recommended Basement Masters. Anyone used them?

I would be interested too. We have a head height basement, about 5.8/6.0 feet high, full width and full depth of house, so copy of the ground level foot print. It is very slightly damp but we have electrical goods down there and use it for storage - it would be a great space if we could made it habitable.

If you're building a dungeon in your basement so that you can pretend your're an MP or a kinky European you can use a lot of foam and scaffolding equipment which should keep the noise to a minimum. If it's a music room you want then pop yourself down to under the Green Lanes Harringay bridge or one of the bars that has an "open mic" evening.

Did your enquiries result in any findings? Keen to understand - we are considering converting ours, and would love to know range of possibilities, cost, general experience! 

yes i have .  its easier to talk than writ though.  PM me and i'll send my number

i've now started on the process for this, so if anyone is interested feel free to send a personal message.

Hi Anna,

I'm looking to turn a mud basement floor into a useable room - which I believe you were planning to do earlier this year?  I was just wondering if you succeeded (!) and if you would recommend your builder.  If so - I'd be very grateful for their contact details. 

Thanks so much,

Chloe

i'm trying to reply to Chloe - not sure if that is working. Well we re getting there. it's been a rather protracted business what with all the plans, planning permission, building regs, party wall agreements and all. It's not finished yet, but i do have some recommendations and will hopefully have more by the end. My builder is very good. Extremely good work, flexible, good at communicating, reliable, and honest and i think his costs are pretty reasonable. He would definitely be my first choice in any future work. His name is Lukasz and his company are called LS Renovations Ltd. His number is 07872175626. email office@ls-renovations.com.

That's so helpful.  Thank you Anna.

Nothing is simple in this business so a recommendation is gold-dust!  

Warm wishes,

Chloe

Would love to know timeframe and how intrusive the work was. Oh and a ballpark cost if you feel like sharing! I think there is so many of us in the same boat who would love to get it done but finding a good builder who can do it for a realistic price has always been one of my biggest concerns.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service