Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Harringay Hustings last night at North Harringay School. From left to right: David Kaplan (TUSC), Emine Ibrahim (Labour), Lydia Rivlin (Conservative), Richard Godwin (Chair - Harringay Resident & Evening Standard Journalist), Matt Cuthbert (Green), David Schmitz (Lib Dem)

Last night saw Harringay's first hustings event for many years. An audience of about 50 turned out to hear what the parties standing in the local elections thought about questions raised by local people both before and during the event.

Local resident and Evening Standard journalist did a masterful job chairing the event (and winning a few ladies' hearts by all accounts!). So our profuse thanks to Richard for pitching in.

Thanks also to all the panellists, all of whom did a good job and gave a fair accounting of themselves and their parties' policies. From here on,  all parties have the chance to share their views with you on a single HoL posting per party (See panel at the top of the main page).

A member of the audience videoed the whole event. So, should you be so minded, you will be able to see the event once his video is posted.

Was there a man of the match? I don't know, that's for those who attended to say. I've had good feedback on all the panelists, but perhaps a nose ahead on informal feedback on the performance on the night, from an audience who probably weren't in the main natural TUSC voters, was TUSC outsider David Kaplan.

David Kaplan (TUSC) - Last night's man of the match?

Tags for Forum Posts: 2014 elections

Views: 2110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Priya,

What a plea from the heart. I'm very struck by how at sea people feel this year with no sense of what or who is on offer. Given the low level of engagement with local elections already, I think it's a shame to compound the sense of disengagement this way. So, in a last minute attempt to try and go some way to rectifying that, I've sent out five questions to all the parties, along with a request for brief pen pictures of the candidates they'll be fielding in Harringay St Ann's and Seven Sisters wards. I will publish all answers I receive. Other than that, I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid.

Thanks so much Hugh. That's amazing, really helpful and much appreciated. Let's see what replies you get and what they say. Fingers crossed.

If all the Conservatives can think of to say about the Greens is that they/we are trendy but not serious, what would they have said abut Keir Hardie ?  I hope the party that has tried rather hard to wipe out the welfare state will be taken seriously - as a threat to the foundations of post-war Britain. 

The greens are really new, candidates probably are quite inexperienced with feck all money. Give them a break. You can't expect them to be managing their media profile on every Internet forum.

The green should be a DIY party anyway at this stage. If you want to know more about them then do your homework.
On the other hand if you know your stuff and are completely disillusioned with the other establishment parties ( nice term ), jump ship and give them a hand.

The greens are the bring a plate party, don't expect the host to be putting out all the spread, at this stage consider what you're bringing to the table yourself.

"Bring a plate party".  My guess is that's the best thing you've written on HoL.

Quite liked it at the time myself too. :)
Thank you, we need residents to get involved all round, over several years with the Greens I have seen our contribution to local meetings grow, and interest is growing nationally and locally. I think if the main parties continue to ignore the people they represent, then Greens will be there to support you. Increasingly the Greens stand a good chance. Now we have a by election and we can see for our selves how poorly we have been represented, (with a resignation just two years in.) Do we know why our Councillor resigned? Was it Absentia or a better job?
Thanks Alison. My fear is that these fraudsters will be elected and that they will begin to decimate my beloved neighbourhood. I want to get a DON'T Vote Labour placard!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service