Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A word of warning to all consumers of Thames Water. I received my latest water bill this morning and noticed that my usage had been estimated for the second consecutive billing period.
I immediately went outside to check my meter and was incensed to see that it had been over-estimated by approximately 40%.
This is at a time when unemployment is rising and should not be excused. Whilst I can accept every other reading being an estimate surely they should ensure the meter is read accurately once every 12 months.
To add insult to injury, I had to use a 0845 phone line to report my own reading.
Thames Water is now owned by a private equity Australian company by the name of Macquarie, a long, long way from "for the people, by the people". How well I remember the boast of the "rusty" Iron Lady when she tried to tell us that by privatising essential services, consumers would benefit from greater efficiency and competition would result in lower prices.
...So, if you have recently received a water bill from Thames, and it has been estimated, take a couple of minutes to inspect your meter, usually outside your gate and check the reading.

Tags for Forum Posts: affairs, consumer

Views: 65

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Peter,

Your phone company may be sharing with Thames Water the revenue from calls by Thames' customers who use this expensive method.

You don't always have to suffer the 0845 numbers.

0845 and 0870 ought to set off alarm bells. Check here first before dialling. There nine alternative numbers for Thames Water and there are even a few freephone numbers you could try, and ask to be transferred. Nothing to lose.
Hello Clive,

It was the over-estimation by a whopping +40% of my consumption that incensed me, and the fact that it was the second estimation in succession that made me phone in.

The 0845 number was just salt in the wound.
Seems to be a common ruse this year. EDF made a huge mark-up on my estimate which bore no relation to usage in previous quarters or years. I guess it's a pretty good way of stuffing the coffers in tough times.
Conversely, my electricity bill was seriously underestimated all last year which meant when the real reading was taken, I paid most of it at the current, higher rate.

"current" omg :-(
NOW might be a good time of the year to consider switching utility suppliers. You can't do it for water unfortunately. I'm switching for only the second time since the gas and lecky companies multiplied in number.

All but one of the price comparison web sites came up with the same answer and I should make a relatively significant saving over 12 months.

But who compares the price comparison sites I hear you ask?

Don't know, but I know where there's a list of them, mainly because I compiled it myself.

I recommend using this remarkably useful list.

If there're any I've missed, please let me know ...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service