Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Londonist is reporting that the replacement of London's articulated buses is to be deferred until 2015.

http://londonist.com/2009/06/bendy_buses_-_demise_deferred.php

As I've pointed out before, this was always to be expected, as the cost of replacing the buses with sufficient drivers and vehicles was too high. This presumably means that the money spent on the Boris' new Routemaster was also wasted.

If Boris doesn't succeed in winning a second term, that will probably end the saga of the new RMs and the current bendy-buses and their like will be with us for a long time to come.

Tags for Forum Posts: TfL, bendy buses, buses, public transport

Views: 855

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rather silly arguments Clive.. Hundreds of thousands of mothers with children as well as the disabled will now have to suffer.. just to make you feel fiscally better,, and because TfL or Boris wasn't capable of keeping it's house in order.. as I've written many times before.. Providing conductors for the bendies would have been more cost effective than buying hundred of new buses and employing hundreds of new drivers..

Boris would have been much better advised to build on Alexandra Park and turn it into a 'gated community with quality appartments with stunnung views' rather than keep the grotty white elephant with it's reminders of a time when Britain supposedly ruled the world.. (although many of still delude yourselves on that).

Now that would have helped London's overburdened taxpayers, although strangely, I don't hear you clamouring for that..

Stephen the bendy buses have some advantages, but securing revenue isn't one of them

Any feeling I might have of feeling "fiscally better" – due to the expected reduction in fare evasion –will be dwarfed by improved finances for public transport, something I might have expected you to support.

I set aside the question of the morality of fare evasion, as this apparently doesn't concern you, and appeal to your base selfish instincts: those of us who do pay our fares, pay higher fares due to the evasion by many bendy bus free-riders.

It's the same principle with tax evasion: those who evade taxes cause the rest of us to pay higher taxes than we would otherwise. Do I hear any clamouring to cut down seriously on tax evasion to help [the majority of] Britain's overburdened taxpayers?

As for Boris, he has already been well advised in connection with Alexandra Palace.

The Mayor of London has endorsed (PDF) the UN Heritage Proposal for the south east wing of Ally Pally. His prestige has increased further as a result, if such a thing were possible.

Ach, Clive you are very selective in your 'wahrnehmung' 

I'll say it again  - it would have more cost-effective (cheaper) to provide the bendy buses with conductors..

But loss of revenue wasn't the real reason for their withdrawal, nor the loss of life of bikers - which there wasn't - Boris couldn't care a 'NZ half cent' about the dead.. No, he wanted a Euro-sceptic posture to prove his political credentials.. said something like .. they may be OK in Copenhagen..but in London..?

And yet, on the other hand, you seem quite happy for the public purse to support things you agree with..  Were you a politician once?

Stephen, I think the Mayor of London cares about our heritage. And others agree with the Ally Pally Proposal besides the mayor and me:

• The International Committee for the Conservation of the Industrial Heritage TICCIH, Secretary: Stuart Smith OBE
  • UN World Heritage site, the 1924 Varberg Radio Station, Sweden CEO: Dr. Lars Johansson
  • IET – Institution of Engineering and Technology, formerly the Institution of Electrical Engineers (contact: Alan Berry)
  • The MP for Hornsey & Wood Green, Government Minister Lynne Featherstone
  • The MP for Tottenham and ex-Minister for Heritage, David Lammy
  • Former BBC Chairman, Gavyn Davies
  • Former BBC Chairman, Lord Michael Grade
  • Former BBC Director General, Greg Dyke
  • Broadcaster and author, Lord Melvyn Bragg
  • Culture, Media & Sport LibDem spokesman, Lord Tim-Clement Jones
  • Media Historian, Iain Logie Baird
  • AP Television Group Chair: John Thompson
  • British Heritage Television group Chair: Martin Allen
  • AP Television Society Chair: Simon Vaughan
  • Hornsey Historical Society Chair: Keith Fawkes

Oh that's alright then is it.. ?

Yes, I think so Stephen. I trust you'll recognise some of the names.

I believe that for a relatively short list, it includes significant representatives from each of the three main political parties – it being a non-partisan proposal – and simultaneously covers a wide range of local, national and international endorsement.

If you care to suggest anyone else to approach – perhaps as a challenge – please don't hold back; I'd be keen to hear your two Euro's worth ;-)

BTW, My 2 Euro still buy more Pounds than they did ten years ago and I'm sure they will continue to increase in value in the future.

So what's in name? Nothing..

You know my views on your heritage site.. The moment you change the spin in the title '

...in the World'

into

...the 'United Kingdom's'

I'll get behind it

Back to the bendy buses: the last one to run in London ran last night. These interesting but too-big buses will not be scrapped: the giant German buses are going to run on roads to which they're better suited: Leicester, York, Newhaven, Merseyside and Malta

Thanks to Liz for making me aware of this tweet:

Britain’s leading transport commentator. Author of rail history books, cricketer, qpr fan, cyclist,runner.  And sometime deviant (so it says on his twitter profile :o) )  https://twitter.com/#!/christianwolmar

Christian Wolmar, Britain’s leading transport commentator. Now just a minute Stephen, I was under the impression that was you. Well, at least around these parts.

@Matt Was that a dig or a rare compliment?

No, I've never claimed to be that.. it's just a passing interest of mine..

as this photo taken on Wednesday will testify http://www.flickr.com/photos/isarsteve/6484154827/in/set-7215760735...

@Clive  - I'm afraid I don't accept this 'fairy tale' that they are too big for London's roads.. still they will look good on the boulevards of York... and avenues of Liverpool

You stand out from the crowd Stephen

as our very knowledgeable HOL Transport reporter. Keep it up!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service