Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Couldn't resist posting this photo of Grand Parade in the snow. I took it about 20 years ago, possibly more. Barnabys was a wonderful Greek Cypriot bakery, where I used to bump into Cypriots from all over London coming all this way to do their shopping here. The Old Suffolk punch was a wetherspoon, but it was the "posher" pub on the parade before the Salusbury got renovated. It was actually a very chilled place to meet a friend for a quiet drink and catch up.

Views: 2029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember Barnaby and the Suffolk Punch.

When I moved to Harringay in 1983, the local pubs were pretty rough and frequented mainly by older men, who weren't the friendliest. So, when I saw a poster in the window announcing the opening of a new pub, the Suffolk Punch, I got a bunch of friends to 'stake our claim', as we put it. On opening night, a lot of others had had the same idea, and it was great to have a decent, friendly pub at last.

I used to shop at Barnaby, and got friendly with a woman about my age (20). One morning, she told me she was getting engaged that evening to a friend of her brother; I pointed out she didn't look too happy about this. The next morning, she announced delightedly that she was now engaged. I asked her why she was so happy now - it turned out she had had a driving lesson the previous evening and had got engaged to her driving instructor instead.  

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service