Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

'It said schools which decided to alter their uniform - for example a newly-converted academy that decides to change its emblem - should restrict changes to one or two items or to sew-on logos.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24095539

Brings back the frustrations of Hornsey School for Girls and the complete change of uniform that was forced on parents when the new head joined the school, without the consent or involvement with parents,or indeed most of the children despite the head saying otherwise. When I brought up the issue at a parents evening a child from the school council admitted that even they thought it was a done deal when they were asked for their opinions.

The measuring up was done within school hours away from parents involvement as well and of course the uniform can only be ordered from them and it required a complete new uniform, even for those who had one year left or part of a year. Many parents like myself had just bought a whole new uniform bought in a big size to last but were forced to buy another.

Deeper issues entailed the feelings of the children who had  been at the school for a long time and felt that their identity had been taken away without their consent, and they felt they were not allowed to fully express their feelings and have their opinions taken into account.

And more annoying was the fact that when Carol Jones was cornered on this issue before speaking at the parents assembly and asked why there was no leeway for children already at the school to wear out their old uniforms and have a gradual change for their own peace of mind  she rather arrogantly stated that this was already her plan which she stated openly to parents, yet sneakily in the summer holidays she reneged on her word and new uniforms had to be bought.

In my view the uniforms were not well thought out either. There was pipping around pockets at the front, pockets that were for show and unusable and many of the uniforms had to be returned because of fraying, the piping and lining was a pale mint green which showed up all the dirt, and it was a specific design rather than the usual blazer which was not appealing to everyone. The uniform was not as well made as the old uniform either. Really annoying!

I do not agree with uniforms in this day and age but understand others views on some of the benefits of them.  If uniforms have to be used I believe they should all be able to be bought at the usual outlets like BHs, M&S, Tesco, Sainsburies etc.... and a stick on logo applied to highlight the school attended.

Many parents like me who have tall or larger children are also hit harder as the larger uniforms are more expensive, HSG charges more for larger uniforms, disgraceful!!!!  And were we able to buy them in regular stores we would still have had to buy adult sizes which are triple  the price at least of the childrens ranges,and trying to find suitable size eight shoes for a daughter who does not want to be a laughing stock is very, very hard!

This certainly is no longer a small subject when costs are soaring. And for those parents who have full or stressful lives it is easy to find you have a last minute rush to organise the uniform. I thankfully was passing the uniform outlet a week or so ago behind the shopping city and the queue was huge!! And it was still huge later on our return trip. I feel sorry for you if you were one of those parents! 

Tags for Forum Posts: d

Views: 769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes thanks Julie for the article I have just managed to read it and its fabulous.

Its good to hear that the Government is announcing free school meals for all infants, but there will be many hurdles yet to come. The quality of the food for instance. My children did not want school dinners as they were so disgusting to them, because I guess despite having a really low income food has been priority in our family and home made and home grown important. The majority of the middle class families sent their children to school with home made packed lunches because of this, and my children who were eligible for free school meals wanted packed lunches to, this meant that I had to find the extra money to provide them with the healthy alternative.  My point being that providing free school meals for all infants will not necessarily allow for social equality unless the Government allows those families on benefits or low incomes the same choice as the better of families, between free school meals or vouchers perhaps for food to provide home made packed lunches should they prefer. That is equality! And of course there is the option to provide healthier and tastier meals with good quality produce so that parents and children are happy with the food provided on site!

I could go on an on about the experiences that we suffered throughout my childrens school life due to inequality and the lasting trauma that some of this has left. It feels as though policies, school and Governmental are not made with help and advice through the experience of those in need, through listening to them, those personally affected by such policies, but rather as an action to prove that the school, Government is doing something (despite whether it really helps at grass roots) making a few changes which only touch the tip of the iceberg and nothing to really address the inequality or change it fully for the better.... perhaps that would be to scary!

In principle it seems like a good idea, but should the working poor's taxes be used to feed the children of better off families?  Also, some school funding is based on the number of children on FSM, so if families don't have to claim under the proposed system how will that affect funding for schools which have a high percentage of children on FSM?

And what about schools which don't have an on-site kitchen and bring in semi ready made meals? The quality of the food provided could fall (even further is some cases)

I don't think it would be obligatory to have school dinners, the packed lunch option would still be available (I hope!)

'should the working poor's taxes be used to feed the children of better off families? ' I grapple with this.... it would be great if there was more of a balance in society to begin with so this would not be an issue.  I agree that better of families do not need the added support so this does not make sense and any conscientious person would not want to take up this offer I believe.

I would hope that school funding would not change? I would hope that funding would still be appropriated by the amount of low income families attending schools, free school meals is not the only means for keeping tabs on numbers surely. I know my daughter feels ashamed of having free school meals, I saw her flinch recently when I asked about this in the new school she is due to attend, so in some ways lack of emphasis on who gets it free and who doesn't might help, but really this should be tackled in other ways within schools and of course at home.

Another bug bear! In HSG they have a fund to help low income families which is great, however, they call it the Hardship Fund! I suggested it be re-named the Opportunities Fund instead because the word ' Hardship' has a stigma about it and also supports the sense of hardship that people in need feel and struggle with whilst 'opportunity' is positive and uplifting and suggests support and potential to move beyond, rather than stuckness and dependancy. The words we use are so powerful and important. I wrote to Carol Jones suggesting this and expressing how many people on low incomes are ashamed and embarrassed to ask for support in the first place and don't take up the offer when needed and stuggle on, this would have been a positive change in the right direction. She replied that this was a good idea and that was the end of it..... NO ACTION!

Yes talking of equality we have a long way to go if and I imagine so, other Heads of schools are also blinkered in their approaches. In my daughters time at the school, the pastoral care, school counsellor had her hours cut drastically as well, I imagine to create more funding for excellence in results and the school began charging children for exam re-sits, clearly effecting the lower income families most as they are the majority that can not afford extra tuition for their children. When I queried this a head of year said that it would make the children work harder as some of them do not work hard enough or take study seriously. Would charging them make much difference I added surely the school should be finding ways to connect with these children and find ways to stimulate their minds and keep them onboard! When it comes to the reaction of the Head on the importance of language and hearing the attitude of some of the teachers at parents meetings it is no wonder that many of the children from low income families are lost and left behind. There were many great teachers in that school but if the Head is out of line then what can be done. I know this is my view many will differ, but it is rare in my opinion to see parents who care about the whole rather than just their own family who are doing ok. And clearly this is the way of the Government at present leading the way in example!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service