Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Application to remove last remaining windows of Salisbury Promenade

Almost exactly 100 years after Salisbury Promenade was built (1926), the current owners hve applied to replace the remaining original top floor windows with aluminium ones.

What remains is not gold in heritage terms, but collectively , they are one of the last remnants of Harringay's fast dwindling Green Lanes heritage. I think it's also fair to say that they fit with the architecture and are a pleasant part of Harringay's high street. Their replacement with aluminium would be a real shame. 

What currently remains are most of the windows in the north half of the building at the Selale end and all bar three of the top panels of the southern half, above Tesco.

Of what remains, the top panels are the unique parts. Those in the south part included panels depicting what appears to be the cross of St George. There is no colour left in the glass, but an inspection of the full-size 1930 photo of the Woolworth store suggests that the crosses were originally coloured. I've recreated that in the photo of those windows below which was shot from inside the gym today.

The top panels in the northern part of the building are different and the colouring in the glass there appears to have survived. These windows are all blocked on the inside. So it is not possible to properly inspect them. The photo of one section of windows below shows the variety of panels included on this part of the building. 

None of thre first floor windows have been well maintained. I can understand why the current tenants want them replaced. However, instead of replacing them with aluminium windows, there are a number of more heritage-friendly options which I would urge to Council to oblige the owners to employ. 

I have alerted the Hornsey Historical Society's conservation officer in the hope that he might make an intervention. I have also alerted Ian Sygrave at the LCSP who knows Haringey's planning policies as well as any resident. Finally, I copied Cllr. Anna Abela on my email to Ray Rogers so that she is aware of the issue. 

I will submit an objection to the planning application but will wait for advice from Ray and Ian as to the grounds on which an objection may be best raised.

Although the application was only circulated by Haringey this week, the official received date is 1st August and the date by which any objections must be made is only 1st September. 

The full planning application is on Haringey's website here

Tags for Forum Posts: salisbury promenade

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This would be most upsetting if this was granted, every ounce of historic charm is being slowly removed. The windows are sound, cheaper to replace a few small panes & more environmental to retain as it becomes landfill and time to recoup energy costs in production. Secondary units can be fitted inside. I’d be happy to pitch in with time to sand and repaint for one.

Let’s keep our attention focused on this space, there is great charm within this building. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service