Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We live in Tottenham Hale. Not far from the forest of ugly, out-of-scale massively overpriced towers still rising despite Covid-10 and despite the falling appeal of buses and trains.  As cars offer some covid protection they cram the roads to the point where car journeys in the evening rush hour may not seem worth attempting.

I wasn't surprised when someone rang the doorbell and asked to buy a visitor's permit. (Which I gave them.)

They'd taken half an hour not to get very far. As we know, the few exit roads were jammed so they'd decided to park.  Quite understandably didn't want a ticket.

Is this happening elsewhere?

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JJ Best - my immense thanks for spotting this, and posting here with the link.

We have some intelligent and thoughtful councillors some of whom are cyclists or have family members and friends who cycle; and who take this issue seriously enough to go beyond the Council's tendentious good-news claptrap propaganda  machine.  Perhaps some are prepared to speak-out about the injuries and deaths which will result from getting these changes wrong?

Can I please add to JJ's plea to read this research. In particular paying attention to the findings - after the tables. There are two paragraphs especially which I'd like to quote. The first made me shudder!

"Kerb separated cycle infrastructure reduced injury odds substantially; by 40% compared to no infrastructure. Stepped tracks were even more protective, reducing injury odds by 65%, albeit with large confidence intervals due to low numbers (0.15-0.85, CI 95%). These findings are in line with Teschke et al. (2012) and in London, Li, Graham, and Liu (2017). By contrast, painted cycle lanes did not reduce injury. Mandatory painted lanes did not lead to any risk reduction and advisory lanes (which motor vehicles are legally permitted to enter) increased injury odds by over 30%."

And the final paragraph with the uncompromising word must.

"In conclusion, cycle infrastructure on main roads and junctions must be protected (kerb separated or stepped tracks, rather than painted lanes), particularly when there is high traffic and/or pedestrian activity."

Can I add a personal note. Over the years, as part of my own work I had to read a number of Public Inquiry reports.  (Not about transport.) In every one I recall some key questions were asked by the Inquiry team.
(1) Why didn't someone say something was wrong?
(2) Oh, no! Someone did say! Why didn't anybody listen? Why didn't anyone act?

PS. JJ Best. I've now found time to look at the other research projects on the page you linked to. Very interesting! Thanks again.

North of Tottenham Green is where it gets really dangerous. Cyclists have to face oncoming traffic on CS1 heading south on Broadwater Road (ie cycling south into traffic heading north)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5964326,-0.0757403,3a,75y,163.35h...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service