Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

It's 23:55 and for about the third night running I have a dawn chorus going on outside my window.

Is it just me? Am I hearing things?

Views: 625

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're not hearing things Hugh, got home c00.30 on Saturday and was amazed at the noise a robin was making in our road.

despite the torrential rain falling onto my loft windows last night - i too heard the sound of a song bird. it was probably about 1045pm. 

perhaps we're all going mad living here. 

Yes, quite, even up here in central wood green ?
I haven't heard the birds but I have been kept awake by the terrifying screams of the foxes... that really is the stuff of nightmares!

Living opposite a Church with Trees Often Hear them on light Warm nights

With the howls of the fox's.........

Best one other night when Large Dog fox got stuck in Next doors Bin and knocked it over

@ Midnight plus

Also local thought - is birds trying to compete with pumps @ Local School that Run 24 Hours

I think it's the often-spotted (and heard) Thought Police chopper squad.
We've been disucussing this on Facebook and a friend of mine has a theory that they can only communicate with each other at night as there is less noise, so their calls can be heard clearer... Does seem strange as it's only been happening recently though. I'm also concerned about the amount of birds that make calls that sound electronic. Are they trying to communicate with car alarms and mobile phones?

Today's Independent suggests that life ain't tweet for city songbirds...

Twitter in the city: The urban life of birds

Birds adapt to noisy urban life by singing louder, warbling at night or moving away – but it's threatening their survival, says Roger Dobson

Monday, 31 January 2011

If a nightingale sang in Berkeley Square now, it might need to change its tune. Birds are having to adapt their songs to noisy city life so their communications can be heard above the urban hubbub.

City bird songs are becoming shorter, louder, and with longer pauses. They are also sung at higher pitch to rise above the low frequency noise of traffic.

Birds are increasingly singing at night, when noise levels are lower, and there's evidence of an ability to adjust songs by leaving out lower pitch notes which would be drowned by traffic noise.

Some researchers believe that these change are adaptions that will lead to urban and rural birds of the same species becoming reproductively isolated. It's also been suggested that birds and species which fail to adapt will quit city life, reducing urban biodiversity.

While cites and urban areas are attractive, food-rich environments for birds, there is a price to be paid. And the downside of living in a noisy environment can be significant for birds that use acoustic signals to attract mates, defend territories, warn of dangers, and deter competitors. Many human beings find urban noise uncomfortable, but for birds, having vital communications drowned or muffled, threatens their breeding and survival....."

Yes, there's been a robin solo going on very late at night just these past few days
Phew - I thought I was hearing things or that there was something going on in my chimneys or on the loft.

It's not just you - they're going bonkers up my way too.  In fact I hear them twittering now. 

Do they think it's Spring just because the snow's gone and the temperature's gone up a few degrees?

Have you you contacted the noise team? If so why have they done nothing. Typical! It's all down to incompetent and over paid senior management. Have you seen how much they earn? it's a disgrace I tells you.

How many of these birds are occupying the tree?   Has the tree been converted in any way to house these birds. If so was planning permission granted? Have you contacted enforcement. If so why have they done nothing. Typical! It's all down to incompetent and over paid senior management. Have you seen how much they earn? it's a disgrace I tells you.

How old are these birds. Are they teenagers? are some of them tagged? Have to contacted the ASBO team? If so why have they done nothing. Typical! It's all down to incompetent and over paid senior management. Have you seen how much they earn? it's a disgrace I tells you.

It appers the foxes are now mirroring the birds antics. this could be some sort of gang thing are they Kurdish or Turkish foxes? As it's difficult to tell I suggest that us HOLers remain vigilant at all times. Have you called the SNT? If so why have they done nothing. Typical! It's all down to incompetent and over paid senior management. Have you seen how much they earn? it's a disgrace I tells you.

Do you think the robin ihas mental health problems? Is he casusing the raucus? Have you called the mental health team ? If so why have they done nothing. Typical! It's all down to incompetent and over paid senior management. Have you seen how much they earn? it's a disgrace I tells you.

Why is everyone up so late at night? Have you contacted the sleep team? If so why have they done nothing. Typical! It's all down to incompetent and over paid senior management. Have you seen how much they earn? it's a disgrace I tells you.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service