Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yes, I know, rather a Daily Mail style of a headline. I changed it half way through writing having come across this picture of work going on further north.

This topic started in another conversation on the site where it was mentioned that some of the trees between the railway and Wightman Road/New River have been cut down.

I pointed to a case I'd seen recently in Enfield where Network Rail had completely cut back all the trees to stop them damaging a railway bank and I mused on whether a similar fate might not await us.

I've just received an update from another local website where a similar issue is of concern following a complete clearance (pictured above). A local in that area is a retired civil engineer and has put together a report on the practice of tree clearance on railway banks, a copy of which I have attached.

It seems like the work goes on with limited consultation with the council and NO consultation with the local community. So, unless we're all happy with the stretch along the New River and running along the backs of houses looking like the picture above, it may be worth someone making some pre-emptive contact with Network Rail.

These clearances are a huge shock to local communities when they happen. Look at the level of attendance at a recent meeting related to this issue in N21 (photo published as original):

I'm afraid I don't got the time to lead anything on this, but surely forewarned, we'd be daft not to get ahead of the game. Perhaps one for our councillors?

Tags for Forum Posts: embankment, railway, trees

Views: 523

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I lived in Wightman the Sycamores and wild cherries and Ash Trees grew hugely over the 10 years I was there till nearly all evening/afternoon evening sun was gone in summer months, (I could not find a way to get these cut at the time) and the train screeching was deafening I would add.. I really hope that's been properly looked at.. One got used to it but visitors would noticeably blench and shout over the awful noise.. sigh.

Some people would welcome a site clearance.. however that bank looks destabilised, but mere pollarding coppicing cutting down to ground level doesn't stop the aforementioned trees coming back in less than 10-15 years. It might be worth the railway people replanting with small silver birch varieties - dappled.light shade, beauty and movement, or low growing soil stabilising plants.. but NOT Japanese knotweed, like they did in Victorian times, with good motives, but bad results.  As we all know.. Constant maintenance is the other option.. good ongoing jobs... woops.. gone mad obviously .. Good luck all.

Sycamores, Ash and wild Cherries; surely we can do better than that. Are there not endangered and nice indigenous trees worth planting? Oak? Lime? Oh... once you plant those someone will list them and then you can't cut them down. :(

Welcome back Philly :-)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service