Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yes, I know, rather a Daily Mail style of a headline. I changed it half way through writing having come across this picture of work going on further north.

This topic started in another conversation on the site where it was mentioned that some of the trees between the railway and Wightman Road/New River have been cut down.

I pointed to a case I'd seen recently in Enfield where Network Rail had completely cut back all the trees to stop them damaging a railway bank and I mused on whether a similar fate might not await us.

I've just received an update from another local website where a similar issue is of concern following a complete clearance (pictured above). A local in that area is a retired civil engineer and has put together a report on the practice of tree clearance on railway banks, a copy of which I have attached.

It seems like the work goes on with limited consultation with the council and NO consultation with the local community. So, unless we're all happy with the stretch along the New River and running along the backs of houses looking like the picture above, it may be worth someone making some pre-emptive contact with Network Rail.

These clearances are a huge shock to local communities when they happen. Look at the level of attendance at a recent meeting related to this issue in N21 (photo published as original):

I'm afraid I don't got the time to lead anything on this, but surely forewarned, we'd be daft not to get ahead of the game. Perhaps one for our councillors?

Tags for Forum Posts: embankment, railway, trees

Views: 523

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just an update on the screeching trains and the pruning of trees on the railway track behind Wightman Road.

The greenery was cut back as a goodwill gesture at the request of residents whose property backs on to the depot. Professional contractors carried out the work and while doing this, discovered that one tree was rotten to the core and needed to be felled. They checked for nesting birds as well as squirrels and bats before carrying out their work. I am reassured there is no wholesale clearance planned.
In relation to the trains, a greaser is in operation and they have replaced a lot of the rail head. The last piece of the jigsaw is a new set of points to be brought into operation very soon and that should solve the problem.

Can I ask that residents keep me updated so that I can chase things if this is not resolved.
Karen when you speak with them can you get assurances on their plans for any felling in our neck of the woods please.
I have today had a reassurance from Roger Perkins at FCC that there is to be no wholesale felling in this area.  Lets just keep an eye on things though.

No pun intended, Hugh?

Karen what can be done about the knotweed? it is coming into my garden from a huge bust on the railway embankment behind the neighbours garden.

Can you contact network rail on our behalf?

Can you e-mail me some more details on this please and of course I can take it up for you.  My e-mail address is karen.alexander.haringeylibdems@gmail.com.

Equally with Railway Fields. A few years ago they ripped out a perfectly good fence, which only needed repairing in a couple of sections, giving three days' notice to residents, and replacing it with something uglier and less sturdy. In the process the ivy which covered the fence, the nesting site for many birds including song thrushes, was completely destroyed and has never grown back. I have not seen any thrushes in my garden or RF since then. This was done by the "conservation officer" at the time!

But when I asked them to deal with several tall sycamore trees which are overhanging my garden and have doubled in size in the last fifteen years, I am told they are valuable wildlife habitat. Apparently there is no legal "right to light" in your garden or house if it is affected by neighbouring vegetation.

You're right about the 'right to light' issue, but a few years ago, I took my neighbours (lords of the local village in Yorkshire) to task over their trees blocking the light. Under the 'high hedges' legislation brought in a few years back, you can obtain necessary forms from the council, and they have a duty to investigate. They carry out complicated calculations regarding height, scale of light disturbance etc. It costs around £350 to set this in motion. I won and the trees had to be cut down to a reasonable height. Contact Haringey planning.

You are also within your legal rights to cut down any overhang into your garden. However, you have to be careful with big trees as lopping branches from one side can make the tree 'unbalanced', which could result in it falling down - onto yours or someone else's house. Get a tree surgeon to have a look, and give a quote.

I work for FCC and have spoken to Cllr Alexander about this (it was my response that she kindly posted). These trees were pruned simply because we were asked to by Cllr Alexander on behalf of some of the neighbours living in Wightman Road who were concerned about overhanging vegetation. Our contractors checked for nesting birds and other wildlife before carrying out the work and the only tree felled was one that was found to be rotten to the core and a danger.

Many thanks Roger. Are you able to say anything about FCC's plans for managing this railway bank?

I'm asking...
Appreciated.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service