Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Picture: From the web

Savannah cats are a cross between a domestic cat and a serval. I'd never heard of them till yesterday. Unbeknown to me, I met a young one at a Harringay neighbour's. At the time I thought it was just a cute young cat with great markings. It was only afterwards that I learned what it was. Whilst the cat's owner assured me that it was completely safe, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd have been a lot less ready to have it chomping on my hand had I known it was half wild African cat genes.

Very attractive cat, though. So if any of you cat-crazy Harringaeites fancy the latest in cat fashion accessories and you have a sheckle or two to spare (serval sheckles in fact!), then a savannah cat may just be your kind of moggy.

Tags for Forum Posts: bengal cat

Views: 4746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Paul. Maybe it is a Bengal cat that visits us then...although the markings look very similar to the Savannah though.

It is very interesting to hear about these Savannah cats, I've never heard about them before. Is their psychology/behaviour similar to other domestic cats? Or are their certain tempraments or characteristics which set them apart?

They do have their own characteristics Sally. They love water, mine gets in the shower even when its quite hot. They love playing fetch. If they get frightened they make a hissing noise like a snake.They jump really high. Mine can jump vertically up to 15 feet already. They are really nosey, opening  drawers and unfortunately the fridge door. Also they are very loyal like a dog, to their owners and follow you everywhere which can be annoying when you are trying to work. The jumping thing is quite spectacular.

Amazing! Especially the going in the shower bit, I have never seen a cat want to do that! Sounds like a really fun pet :)

It does make bathing difficult but yes she's fantastic fun. She responds to the following

words: no! off! out! and the best one... fly!

Take a look at this link, an F1 Savannah with a little boy. Any aggressive behaviour present? No, just a big softy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuiKbnA3w0Q

He ate the boy after the movie finished, right?

How did you know that Hugh? I thought it was a secret...

Eeeeeeeevreebody, knows thaa-aaat....

Blast! The cat's been rumbled..

The designation for these exotics are F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6,F7,F8.

F1 would mean that the animal has a parent that would be a Serval. They cost around £20,000 and cannot be allowed to roam free outside (in the UK).

Mine is an F2 also not allowed to go outside unless on a leash. Leash training is hilariously difficult but once achieved the cat is more like a dog than a cat. Super friendly, good with kids and good with other cats.

However, if threatened by a dog, don't bet on the dog.

Just to let you know Anne. You do not need a license for any generation of Savannah cat in the UK.

Nope! But this hybrid is not legal in many countries such as Australia and New Zealand.

In America it varies state by state. Odd I think?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service