Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Accident just happened on Green Lanes - picture via @glonita14

Views: 5560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That looks a pretty awful scene. Hope the victim is in a better way than it suggests.

Still looking really, really bad half an hour ago. Green Lanes cordoned off. Huge emergency services presence. Motorbike police and other teams investigating the yellow truck.

A pair of black, slip-on shoes in the middle of the road.

Onlookers confirmed an elderly man was involved in a traffic accident. A policewoman said one person taken to hospital. Would make no further comment.

Nasty. Please stay safe, neighbours.  

Total chaos out there! Two sections of Green Lanes closed - between the Salisbury and Tescos junctions, and between Cavendish and Burgoyne. Wightman road absolutely solid in both directions - great mess when two fire engines tried to get down there (Honestly, the way some people reacted was shameful, trying to use the 'slipstream' of the fire engines to further their own journey and blocking everything in both directions!).

I ended up leaving my car several streets away and walking home, as what with the ladder roads that are closed for roadworks, I couldn't see how I was going to get here. Police rather unhelpful on the whole.

I was actually on the scene when it happened. I was travelling in the opposite direction and was quick to notice the elderly man who started to cross the road after the flashing amber lights had turned green. He was walking very slowly and the first vehicle to his right was a very large yellow articulated lorry - the driver was seated a good 15 feet above the road and obviously never saw the pedestrian as his nearside front wheels struck the pedestrian's legs. The man was knocked over, then dragged along the road, but amazingly not completely run over, although his head struck the road several times. A bystander took his pulse & delared "he's alive" while other people phoned 999 on their mobiles and several people put blankets over the poor man. I don't think the driver even saw him (a blindspot moment). If it hadn't been for the fact that I was driving deliveries and was on a timed schedule, I would have parked up and waited to give the Police a full witness statement, as I felt that the truck driver was not entirely to blame, although his vehicle should have had a front mirror to compensate for the blindspot, and he should never have moved forward. The last article I read was at 16:40 on Friday which stated that the pedestrian was in hospital and remained in a critical condition. I reckon on two broken legs, a fractured hip, possibly broken arms and concussion to the skull. I only hope he is still alive. It's a horrible world out there, folks, you really need eyes in the back of your head!

Will do that today. The lorry driver will have been very traumatised, and probably thoroughly investigated by the police, I don't see why he should suffer more than he already has, so will submit a report to them today.

Flashing amber lights are for the road traffic, not the pedestrian.

The flashing amber lights were for the lorry. The pedestian was crossing from the lorry driver's left side.

Ok so obviously nowhere near as bad as the accident on Friday but some idiot reversed into my boyfriend as he was crossing near Iceland on Saturday and could have easily snapped his leg. Thankfully he was still wearing his steel toecaps as he was coming from a job so his foot wasn't crushed. He had to bang frantically on the car and said he was banging so hard he dented the panel but the guy just drove off. I think that stretch of road is a problem with all the traffic jams people drive aggressively and I've experienced this as a pedestrian on many occasions.

The lorry obviously stopped Therese, it's in the picture above. A pedestrian always has priority ( not is always right ) but I'm sure the lorry driver did not run over him deliberately: he just didn't see him. There are " accidents " where nobody is to blame.

Other road users are supposed to give priority to pedestrians, for example when turning a corner and a pedestrian is waiting to cross. If a driver sees a pedestrian in the middle of the road he cannot drive over him just because the lights are green in his favour.

However, if a pedestrian runs across the road in front of an oncoming vehicle and if the driver cannot stop in time or otherwise avoid him, or if the pedestrian appears so suddenly that the driver cannot reasonably be expected to stop before hitting him the driver is not at fault.

Which begs the question, what is a lorry from which the driver has such poor visibility of pedestrians doing on our high street at that time of day?

"In law, the pedestrian is always right by the way"

Incorrect.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service