Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The death and destruction of the First World War affected most British, Allied as well as their enemies' families. With hindsight, the First World War seems to have been a rather futile war... It was really only the 'Austro-Hungarian Empire' which had an aggrievement and a 'legitimate' reason for going to war. But, imperialistic militarism soon sucked all the other large European powers in, bringing squalor, injury and death to millions.

Two of my great uncles were killed; one from Ealing on the paternal side of my family, who died on the Somme in 1916, orphaning two young daughters and Thomas Joseph G. of Tottenham (Harringay) from the maternal side, who died in France, a month after the outbreak of war in October 1914, aged 23.

The availability of WW1 service records has made it possible for a me to trace a snippet of Thomas' life in the Military, which would have otherwise remained secret. There were no honours, in fact he led a rather ordinary life and seemed to have battled with alcohol. I expect he was representative of the majority of the young (working class) men who died for 'King and Country'. I've added most of the information on Thomas that I have - because I feel it is sometimes necessary to remember that the war dead were ordinary people, living ordinary lives.

Birth and early life
Thomas was the first child of William George G. and Mary Ann H. He was born out of wedlock on 31 October 1890 at Annesley Road, Islington. (just South of Archway). Thomas' father was not mentioned on his Birth Certificate because he was working abroad with his brother in Bloemfontien, South Africa after completing a stint in Massachusetts, U.S.A. with a cousin. His parents married in 1892 at St Joseph's Church on Highgate Hill and went on to have another ten children including my grandfather born in 1899.

In the census of 1901, the family was living on Avondale Road - making them a Harringay family, enabling this history to be included on Harringay online.

The following information comes from those Service Records.
Thomas Joseph actually enlisted/attested for the army on 4 April 1907 and was posted on 8 April 1907. He signed up for 7 years with the colours and for 5 years in the Reserves. He joined the Durham Light Infantry Corps. At the time of his attestation, and on subsequent documents, his age at attestation is given as 18 years and 5 months, being born in Islington. (This information however would not have been true – he was too young to enlist, being 16 years and 5 months in April 1907: to do so meant he had to lie about his age). His trade on enlistment is given as a general labourer. He was still living at home, because he answers ‘no’ to the question of whether he has resided out of his father's house for 3 years. He has never been an apprentice, he is not married; he has never been in prison, nor previously joined any of the armed services. He has never been rejected as unfit and would be willing to be vaccinated.

At that time, he is described as 5ft 3½ " tall, weighing 115 lbs, with a chest measurement of 35; his complexion is fresh, with brown hair and eyes. He also bears a scar on the left of his neck, to the top of head and to the right eye.

His residence is given as Culvert Road, South Tottenham. And he gives his religion as Church of England, although it is more likely he was actually Catholic, as was his father, and his mother a converted Catholic.

My maternal Grandfather 1899 - 1954

As far as I know, no picture of Thomas has survived. My grandfather shown here, who had similar looks, also lived for a time in Harringay.

At time of enlistment, the Army had requested references and these give a little detail about what Thomas did before he enlisted. There are two references. The first was an application to a Mr Carr at the Midland Railway Chief Goods Manager's Office. The reference itself was given by a Mr H Everet, clerk: who wrote that "Thomas Joseph Griffin was in our service as vanguard at St Pancras from 1 Feb 05 to 14 May 06, when he left of his own accord. We have nothing against his honesty or sobriety. His conduct while with us was satisfactory". Also it stated that Thomas was single. The second reference was from Messrs. Horners Chemical Cleaning, 400 York Road, Camden Town where he worked from 28 November 1906 to 9 March 1907. Notated on the reference was “reference satisfactory”. His character was considered sober, honest and respectable.

Thomas Joseph would have had to have a medical on enlistment, as well as any treatments whilst in the Army. On his Medical History Sheet at enlistment - he was examined on 4 April, 1907 - it shows his birthplace as Islington, Middlesex, his age as 18 8/12, his trade being a labourer; his height 5' 3¼” with a chest measurement of minimum expansion 32 inches and maximum expansion 35 inches. His physical development is described as good. He has four vaccination marks on his left arm and was vaccinated in infancy. This sheet also shows he was revaccinated to left arm 10 April 1907, but does not say for what.

The Medical History Sheet also says that he arrived at Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 8 April 1907; departed from there on 24 May 1907 to arrive at Cork on 25 May 1907, having joined the Second Battalion.

Thomas, therefore, joined the Army Reserve of the Durham Light Infantry, his regiment number is 10022. On enlisting he is giving a travelling warrant to travel to the regiment’s base at Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He also received an advanced pay warrant, for joining the Army for Permanent Service, to cover the period which will elapse before a reservist reaches his unit.

During his time in the Army, he had to visit Colchester Hospital twice. He was first admitted on 11 February 1911 and discharged 16 February 1911 for an infection, described as contagion, mild fomentation, incision R. He is later admitted at Colchester again on 8 June 1911 and discharged on 11 July 1911, this time for a STD.

Other army record sheets give further detail of his time in the Durham Light Infantry. The Squadron Troop Battery and Company Conduct Sheet gives the date of 8 April 1907 as being when he reached the depot, and 25 May 1907 when he effectively joined the 2nd Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry. Again his trade is shown as a general labourer and being C of E. The Sheet shows that he appears to have lost good conduct badges: one was received on 4 April 1907, but forfeited on 17 July 1910. It was restated on 16 March 1913, and again forfeited on 30 August 1913. This was the date he was deprived on his Lance Corporal’s stripe which he had received on 15 March 1913. He did not hold it for long. The reason for losing it appears primarily to be a drink related problem. The Conduct Sheet states that there were six cases of drunkenness, the last instance being 29 August 1913, the day before he lost his stripe.

More detail of his behaviour and drunkenness is given on the Regimental Defaulter Sheets. The list goes:

Talworth: 17.7.10 Private: Interfering with the duties of the civil police: documentary evidence from witnesses: punishment: 8 days C.B. (confined to barracks) from 19.7.10.
Bradford: 20.8.11 Private: Drunk in barracks about 3pm when on the line of march: punishment: 8 days C.B. from 21.8.11.
Colchester 1.10.11 Private: Drunk returning to barracks about 10.30pm. Punishment: fined 2/6 and 7 days C.B. from 3.10.11
Colchester 8.12.11 Private (1). Not complying with an order given by Cpl Ross. (2) Breaking out of barracks when in arrest. (3) Drunk in town about 9.30 pm. (4) Violently resisting the ..... (5) Using obscene language. Punishment: He was fined 7/10 and had 168 hours detn. On 18.12.11 he was returned to duty.
Colchester, 16.3.12 Private Using obscene language on military road. Drunk returning to barracks about 11.15pm. Punishment: fined 7/6: 8 days C.B Date of award/or order dispensing with trial is 18.3.1912.
Colchester, 6 July 1913 Lance Corporal: drunk in his barrack rooms about 6pm. Reprimanded.
Wolverton 29.8.1913: Cases of drunkenness 6: drunk in camp about 10.35pm. Deprived of Service Strip 30 August.

So, from the above incidents, Thomas Joseph doesn't seem to have been an 'exemplary soldier'! He appeared to have a major drink problem. This is also born out on his Employment Sheet, which to be fair does also give some positive light to his character. It writes that August 1913, as Lance Corporal, his military character is described as fair, and that his nature of employment since his previous assessment was as a signaller for 5 years - and Lance Corporal since March 1913. He is described as a good worker, clean and industrious - but was addicted to drink! Date of the Employment Sheet is August 1913. So was it this particular assessment which prompted the demotion?

Thomas Joseph's military record is not exciting: there is no detail: he spent 7 years based at home from 4 April 1907 until 4 April 1914 - his seven years service before going into the reserves. There are papers when he due for transfer to the reserves stating he is fit for service, that he has a scar left of neck, top of head and right eye. The date is 3 April 1914, when Thomas signs that he had received all his pay and allowances, and has done his 7 years service: on this first transfer it states that he was employed as a signaller for nearly 5 years. Had done a transport course of 2 months; that he was industrious, clean and a good worker. There is a completed Army Reserve Sheet, repeating many of the details he had given at enlistment, namely:

Age: now given as 25 years 5 months (nb. should be 23 years 5 months)
Height: 5 ft 4½ inches (nb. note he has grown an inch: after all was only 16 when he joined up)
Chest: 37 inc. Waist 35 inch. Size of helmet 21½ . Size of boots: 7. Fresh complexion, brown hair and eyes. General Labourer as trade: Address: Albert Road, South Tottenham: that his transfer is due to completion of period of army service. Musketry information given is that he is a marksman.

First World War
Thomas’s period in the reserves is not long: soon he will be on actual active service. Therefore, from 4 April 1914 until 4th August 1914 he is in the reserves. War is declared on 4 August: he is then allowed home leave from the 5 August until 1 September, when he returns to his regiment and they leave for France on 8 September - by 13 October 1914 he is dead – just over a month in France. The news reached his family by the end of October.

The Casualty Form just notes his qualification was a Signaller, and that he was killed in action 13.10.1914.

The Field Service Record Sheet reports the death of a soldier which is forwarded to the War office: this sheet states that Griffin T. died 13 October 1914, place not known, killed in action. Stating whether he leaves a will or not - either in the pay book, small book or separate document - it states "not in my possession, none received". This record sheet is dated 24 October 1914, from Station: CHG 3rd Echelon.

After Death
After his death, correspondence continues with his home, tidying up matters as would follow the death of any soldier.

A letter is sent from the War Office on 2 March 1915 that states that the personal property of No. 10022 Pte T J Griffin, 2nd Bn Durham Light Infantry should be despatched to Mrs M A Griffin, Culvert Rd, Tottenham N. On the letter is noted "notified next of kin 30.10.1914" Also stamped on that copy of the letter is "Infantry Records, York: effects sent 22 Jan 1917".

There is a letter regarding the Memorial Scroll which writes “Dear Mrs Griffin, I beg to forward herewith Memorial Scroll in respect of the undermentioned soldier. Kindly sign the receipt form below and return same to this office at your earliest convenience. A stamped addressed envelope is enclosed for this purpose. Kindly note that the Memorial Plaque is not issued to next of kin by this office, but direct from the Government Plaque Factory, London”. His mother signs the acknowledgement.

The Infantry Records Section of York writes in July 1919 to his mother requesting information before the Office can release the plaque and scroll in commemoration of her son. The form is completed: there is no widow and no children. The family address is given as 2 Calvert Road South Tottenham: his parents named - William George Griffin and Mary Ann Griffin. This form is dated by Mary Ann Griffin 12 August 1919.

Another letter forwards to his mother the effects of Thomas, stating that “these effects are the only articles ........” - however, the rest is illegible, but understood. The letter does not state what they are. The date of this letter is not legible.

There is a memorandum sent to Mrs M A Griffin from the Regimental Paymaster at York, on 19 January 1915 stating that “with reference to your letter of 6th inst I have to inform you that full enquiries have been made and that no sum of money was found on the person of your son”.

A further letter to his mother reads “ Madam, herewith Princess Mary's Gift to the late No. 10022 Pte T Griffin of Durham Lt Infy. Kindly acknowledge receipt”.

A further piece of paper entitled an “Inside Sheet” is in respect of any personal effects, the detail given is: Officer i/c Infy Records York: That no effects here, but if same rec'd will be forwarded. 14.03.1915 to Mrs M A Griffin. Notification re: Grave: to Next of Kin. B200 for Dependants Pension 24.11.17.”

Thomas Griffin: received the "1914 Star" in thanks for his life - there is an acknowledgement 1919. And he received the British War Medal 12 January 1922. There is an acknowledgement of the Clasp to the 1914 Star, acknowledged by his brother, W P Griffin.

A final sheet gives the complete detail of his army service – though not very legible – gives the information already known:

Newcastle upon Tyne: attested 4.4.07 posted 8.4.07
Posted pte: 25.5.07
Appled unpaid Lce Corp: 14.3.13
Reverts to Pte 30.8.13
for misconduct
Army Reserve Transfer:
Mobilized at Newcastle 5 August 1914.
Killed in Action France.

A further Military History Sheet confirms his time in the army:
Home: 4.4.07 - 4.4.1914
Reserve 4.4.1914 - 4.8.1914
Home 5.8.1914 - 1.9.1914
France 8.9.1914 - 13.10.1914

Father: William Griffin
Mother: Mary 2 Culvert Rd

Thus concludes the short life of Thomas Joseph Griffin: on leaving home for France on 8 September 1914, he was, like many other young men, killed in action in little over a month. His name is commemorated on a War Grave memorial in Belgium, near a village called Ploegsteert, on the road to Ypres.

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stephen,

You are most welcome.  Am I understanding this correctly in that you Grandparents lived at 56 and not 54?

We demolished a built in cupboard in the 1970s which stood about 3 feet tall and fitted in the gap between the chimney breast the exterior wall in the "Back Room".  We found an old "TV Licence???" hidden between the joints. It was issued to a "Mrs Legate / Leagate" from the post office?.  I can't remember much but it looked like a hand written receipt with two "penny black" style stamps.

What I found interesting about "My old house" was that most of the properties had a small "Slot" window at the rear. it was about two 24 inches tall and 12" wide and quite high up.  It has diffused glass in it and a small sill. We had to climb on the cupboard mentioned above to peer out of the window. 

Scaffolding planks had been placed vertically to create a privacy fence between the "Patio" areas of 54 and 56 Avondale road.

There were also clear marks on the wall above the fireplaces and underneath the wallpaper of where the gas lamps were mounted.

Indeed if house could talk.  Supposedly, in my game, they "can".    (Stone tape theory)

Best wishes and a Merry Christmas Stephen

Mickey

Attachments:

Yes, I mixed up your 56 Avondale.. with my relations' 54 Avondale.. üüps

Thank you for sharing this sad story, it is very interesting and touching - so young.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service